Week 8: Portsmouth (6-1) @ Fairland (5-1)

Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: Week 8: Portsmouth (6-1) @ Fairland (5-1)

Post by Beergogglebluez »

scott1297 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:23 pm Not much chatter about this game ? But imo the weather will play a big part in this game i think if its raining Fairland will win but if its nice and dry I think PHS has the advantage.
It’s going to play a huge factor. I hope the Trojans have practiced on real grass. I would of asked notre dame to trade practice spots for 4 days or practice on the field in the middle of the track. If it rains it will concern Trojan fans. I hate to say it’s a must win but being in the top 8 will be better than the bottom 8.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:59 pm
scott1297 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:23 pm Not much chatter about this game ? But imo the weather will play a big part in this game i think if its raining Fairland will win but if its nice and dry I think PHS has the advantage.
It’s going to play a huge factor. I hope the Trojans have practiced on real grass. I would of asked notre dame to trade practice spots for 4 days or practice on the field in the middle of the track. If it rains it will concern Trojan fans. I hate to say it’s a must win but being in the top 8 will be better than the bottom 8.
Totally agree and I will be cheering on the Trojans

Burg grad 85
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I’m taking portsmouth in this one 34-21

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
14U
S

Post by 14U »

There is plenty of practice fields at the stadium, we I played at Portsmouth there was the varsity, freshman and band fields and on extra.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

14U wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:32 pm
There is plenty of practice fields at the stadium, we I played at Portsmouth there was the varsity, freshman and band fields and on extra.

These fields are pretty rough nowadays. I’d say the peewee kids still use them, I know semi pro does, not sure about the JR High. I always see people golfing down there too. But back in my day we used them and they weren’t in great shape. Would be a good way to prepare for a bad field on Friday night for sure.

CAT21
Riding the Bench

Post by CAT21 »

24 hours till kickoff, anyone else already gettin excited? :D

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

With the weather I look to see more from the run game. Roe, Johnson, and Hammond can all carry the ball very well. I would run a lot of QB keepers, everyone get a block and let Roe do his thing. Lots of screen passes as well, the Trojans may go deep a couple times if its raining but I hope not too often. If field is somewhat dry ill stick with Trojans 28-24.. if its pouring the rain with a soaked field probably closer to 21-14 either way.

Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragonsbreath12 »

Field surface looked good lastnight at the middle school game. It was slick though. A lot of players slipping and going down trying to make cuts. A couple small showers throughout today will make it a little sloppier. I always enjoyed the mud games but I also played back when the only team in the area that had turf that we played regularly was Rock Hill.

CAT21
Riding the Bench

Post by CAT21 »

At home, factoring in the weather, I’m taking Fairland 28-21. Good luck to the dragons and let’s hope for an injury free game for both teams.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Just checked the weather.com forecast for Proctorville......only a slight chance of rain over the next 6 hours.......according to the radar, the bulk of any precipitation will be in West Virginia east of Huntington. Hopefully that forecast holds true. I want to see both teams playing on a good surface.....I don't expect it to be perfect, but hopefully it won't affect either team as to executing their game plan.

On a side note, I did not realize until I checked the Joe Eitel standings that Fairland is a D6 school, in the same region as Lucasville Valley. Fort Frye holds the #1 spot in the Dragons' region 23, while Piketon is #1 in the Trojans' region 19.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

Dragonsbreath12 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:44 am Field surface looked good lastnight at the middle school game. It was slick though. A lot of players slipping and going down trying to make cuts. A couple small showers throughout today will make it a little sloppier. I always enjoyed the mud games but I also played back when the only team in the area that had turf that we played regularly was Rock Hill.

"....it was slick though. A lot of players slipping and going down..." lol doesn't really support your opening statement of "..field surface looked good last night..." should be a good one though..

Dragonsbreath12
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragonsbreath12 »

Rza1 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:50 am
Dragonsbreath12 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:44 am Field surface looked good lastnight at the middle school game. It was slick though. A lot of players slipping and going down trying to make cuts. A couple small showers throughout today will make it a little sloppier. I always enjoyed the mud games but I also played back when the only team in the area that had turf that we played regularly was Rock Hill.

"....it was slick though. A lot of players slipping and going down..." lol doesn't really support your opening statement of "..field surface looked good last night..." should be a good one though..

I just meant it looke green and like it hadn’t been played on much. I played on it when it basically looked like a pasture cows had tromped on all year lol. So compared to what I remember it looking like when I played on it. It did look really good 😂😂😂

JFLRADIO Big Mor
Riding the Bench

Post by JFLRADIO Big Mor »

The time for talking is over. It’s time to put up or shut up! Its GAME DAY!!!!!!!!

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

We didn't really get much rain in Portsmouth today, might be a drier night than expected.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Absolutely poured in Ironton. Flash flood level rain. Not sure about Proctorville.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Trojans slipping around quite a bit..

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Not going to be a lot of points tonite. 0-0 at the end of the 1st.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Dont think ive seen a Fairland player slip but once. This game is really making me see the importance in turf and they're just starting the 2nd qtr. Not playing the excuse card just an observation.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I don't mind a low scoring defensive struggle but this is just ugly football. Bad snaps, slips and slides everywhere.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

portsmouth_98 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:50 pm I don't mind a low scoring defensive struggle but this is just ugly football. Bad snaps, slips and slides everywhere.
I used to like muddy football.. but when you think about what this game would have looked like on a dry field this really is just ugly football.

Return to “Football”