Week 8: Portsmouth (6-1) @ Fairland (5-1)

Rza1
Freshman Team

Re: Week 8: Portsmouth (6-1) @ Fairland (5-1)

Post by Rza1 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:53 pm Anyone else worried about contracting West Nile from the Fairland visitor bleachers lol? Maybe rabies from some bats in the trees. At least the field is in immaculate condition.

If by "immaculate condition" you mean "barren dirt and rock wasteland" you are accurate.. but don't forget the trailer park raccoons rtgat migrate in as night falls.. better watch your popcorn, and your purse... lol

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

hoping to make this game, get there early

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

you would think Fairland would have one of the best fields around

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Worst venue in southern ohio

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

Fairland athletic director Jeff Gorby is one of the hardest working athletic directors in the state. The issue with Fairland and the facility upgrade is not from a lack of effort from the school. The funds are going to be very lofty. AD Gorby does a ton for Fairland athletics and it’s not uncommon to see him mowing the fields for soccer, football, baseball and softball teams it’s definitely not from a lack of commitment from the AD to have the best facilities
The sad part is Fairland re did their playing surface several years ago with a total field make over but the facility as the coaching change prior to Coach Cunningham and the QB club going away lost the improvements to the field as it wasn’t maintained correctly. I believe if anyone can get Fairland facility in better shape it will be AD Gorby with the support of the community. Also a big sponsor would be needed.

As to the ball game it is going to be a couple things:
Can the Fairland front 7 get to Roe?
Who wins the one on matchups on the edges with Fairland and Portsmouth?
Can Portsmouth stop Brumfield and Schmidt and crew from running the football?
Last question what impact does the weather have ?

WrestlingFootball
Riding the Bench

Post by WrestlingFootball »

Should be a good one.
Fairland 35
Portsmouth 21

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Rza1 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:03 pm
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:53 pm Anyone else worried about contracting West Nile from the Fairland visitor bleachers lol? Maybe rabies from some bats in the trees. At least the field is in immaculate condition.

If by "immaculate condition" you mean "barren dirt and rock wasteland" you are accurate.. but don't forget the trailer park raccoons rtgat migrate in as night falls.. better watch your popcorn, and your purse... lol
Sounds like an added bonus. The wife would love if I came home with a new pet. I’ve seen some bad field conditions at Fairland. Seems the Trojans have played up there in the rain several times.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Cal preps [2021] Portsmouth (OH) 28, [2021] Fairland (Proctorville, OH) 21

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

If Portsmouth wants a home playoff game and be in the top 8 they have to win this game. That alone should fire up the kids and add motivation. If they lose and possibly lose to ironton no way they make top 8. They are 5 now with one loss. Defense has to step up vs the run

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:14 am If Portsmouth wants a home playoff game and be in the top 8 they have to win this game. That alone should fire up the kids and add motivation. If they lose and possibly lose to ironton no way they make top 8. They are 5 now with one loss. Defense has to step up vs the run
I think if the Trojans finish 7-3 they are probably looking at something like a 10 or 11 seed. So they need to beat either Fairland or Ironton, go 8-2 and I think they’ll have a top 5 seed. That said, I’m not trying to be a downer but I think Ironton handles the Trojans. So to me this game with Fairland is a must win.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Rooting for Portsmouth. Should be a dandy one of multiple games this week that should be a good contest

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:35 am
Beergogglebluez wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:14 am If Portsmouth wants a home playoff game and be in the top 8 they have to win this game. That alone should fire up the kids and add motivation. If they lose and possibly lose to ironton no way they make top 8. They are 5 now with one loss. Defense has to step up vs the run
I think if the Trojans finish 7-3 they are probably looking at something like a 10 or 11 seed. So they need to beat either Fairland or Ironton, go 8-2 and I think they’ll have a top 5 seed. That said, I’m not trying to be a downer but I think Ironton handles the Trojans. So to me this game with Fairland is a must win.
Its possible for Portsmouth to still get a home playoff game going 7-3, although I look for them to go at least 8-2. Depends how things shake out with everyone in the top ten. There's some possible losses/wins over the next three weeks that could allow a 7-3 Trojan team to secure a home game.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

On paper Portsmouth should be at least a 2 touchdown favorite. They have a more dynamic offense and their run defense has shut down every running offense they have played so far. That being said, we all know games aren't played on paper and individual matchups can play a huge part. Sometimes a team lives on a few plays and someone takes that away and you have dig deep in the playbook to find something else. I think Portsmouth should win but Fairland certainly can win and it wouldn't really be a surprise.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:43 am On paper Portsmouth should be at least a 2 touchdown favorite. They have a more dynamic offense and their run defense has shut down every running offense they have played so far. That being said, we all know games aren't played on paper and individual matchups can play a huge part. Sometimes a team lives on a few plays and someone takes that away and you have dig deep in the playbook to find something else. I think Portsmouth should win but Fairland certainly can win and it wouldn't really be a surprise.
While I agree with what you said, I will point out the Trojans run defense has faltered since week 5. Waverly who’s known as a passing team ran the ball quite well on Portsmouth, granted they didn’t score on a running play but they ran well. Coal Grove also ran the ball well on the Trojans. Fairland has a much better rushing attack than both of those teams. Brumfield leads the OVC in rushing with over 500, Jackson the QB has over 200 as well, not sure on exact numbers. So this will be the Trojans toughest task yet at stopping the run, field conditions may factor in as well.

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

Biggest game in the area Friday night. Portsmouth and Fairland should be a dandy!

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I don’t think Portsmouth gets a home game at 7-3. Few teams behind them are very close. I hope they do. Portsmouth has never had a home playoff game at the coliseum. That would be very cool

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Waverly's backs were able to get some yards because we couldn't cover all the receivers one on one. Coal Grove did have some success but we won that game handily. If Fairland can keep us from loading the box like Waverly did we could be in some trouble.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

This game is intriguing. I have been sold on Portsmouth since week 2, but a win here and I am buying all of it. I think Portsmouth makes more stops this week than what Fairland will be able to. Trojans roll on 41-33

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Forecast for Friday doesn't look good......60% chance of showers, thunder possible, high of 77. If that forecast holds true, I hope it doesn't hinder Portsmouth's passing attack, which is the main reason why the Trojans haven't been held under 34 points in a game this season.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Not much chatter about this game ? But imo the weather will play a big part in this game i think if its raining Fairland will win but if its nice and dry I think PHS has the advantage.

Burg grad 85

Return to “Football”