Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #6

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #6

Post by Ironman92 »

After Dec 19th’s games and season so far you had West at #58...I had them at #50

Could they crack the top 30 a mere 20 days later?

Check back tomorrow to see where the great Pfloyd writes them in!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Westfan wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:20 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:12 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:17 pm

... defense travels well ... when you have good athletes to begin with - give them fundamentals to work with, then improvement game to game happens ... as teams who buy into the Defensive side of the court - they start getting turnovers that result in transition points which then becomes a "part of the offense" that can be counted on each game ... getting 4-5 fgs out of your defense is tremendous when comes down to either closing the gap when you're behind or you are looking to get separation when you are ahead ... I'm a BIG fan of solid , in your face, body on a body, physical but clean defense ... I watch the Logan Elms, the Unioto's, the Warrens, the Fairlands of SEO - they physically beat a team up playing defense (legally) - I'm smiling the whole time I watch these TEAMS play ... they keep there man from getting to "their spots" forcing them to play from unfamiliar spots/shoot shots from unfamiliar spots on the floor while mentally frustrating the opponent ... great stuff I HOPE West is getting into playing this type of D ...
Portsmouth West goes 3-0 in the Week that IS ... holding opponents to 34 ppg this week ... the Westsiders are making a statement ... time will tell as the Senators take on Oak Hill 1/12, THEN the true test as to whether PWHS believes @ Waverly 1/15 and @ Wheelersburg 1/18 ... looking forward to following the Westsiders in the next week and a half !!! (I don't think Wheelersburg charges for their livestream - pfloyd will be in on that one with a napkin stat rundown ...)
Key against Wheelersburg and Waverly will be handling the pressure that their guards will put on West's guards and not get caught up playing their game. Make it a lower scoring half court game.

Even if those games don't go well the improvement is obvious and great to see.
... I totally agree Westfan ... the Waverly/Wheelersburg games vs quality opponents at the top of the SEOhio food chain are great barometer games for even MORE improvement ! Wins ? heck yeah the Westsider WANT W's ! that's why you play the game as a competitor ! wins are the goal but even IF they are not - it appears that West now has the coaches & players to TAKE positives out of losses and BUILD on them to become an even better TEAM ... believing in a system - defense - is a mental game ... when you get in a game vs quality teams who can exploit weaknesses it takes mental toughness to say - "it works - we can do this" - stick with it ... don't panic - stick with your beliefs - defense wins games and BELIEF IN YOURSELF when things get tough - if you can do THAT - good things happen ... I wish the best for the Westsiders ! they are making the best showing by a West basketball team in many ,many , many years in the rankings ! - and where they are in the Elite 8 rankings has not been easy as they have had to prove themselves every week ! having to climb up the charts ! they weren't "given" a great starting point - they've earned it ... props from pfloyd go to :

Ryan Sissel, Luke Howard, Tanner Cantrell, Jesse Dixon, Marion Phillips, Steven Sadler, Noah Coleman, Luke Bradford, Andrew Jones, Rodney Moore, Mitchell Irwin, Jacob Davis, Brennan Overby, Brandon Koch, Eli Adkins

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:16 pm
Westfan wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:20 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:12 pm

Portsmouth West goes 3-0 in the Week that IS ... holding opponents to 34 ppg this week ... the Westsiders are making a statement ... time will tell as the Senators take on Oak Hill 1/12, THEN the true test as to whether PWHS believes @ Waverly 1/15 and @ Wheelersburg 1/18 ... looking forward to following the Westsiders in the next week and a half !!! (I don't think Wheelersburg charges for their livestream - pfloyd will be in on that one with a napkin stat rundown ...)
Key against Wheelersburg and Waverly will be handling the pressure that their guards will put on West's guards and not get caught up playing their game. Make it a lower scoring half court game.

Even if those games don't go well the improvement is obvious and great to see.
... I totally agree Westfan ... the Waverly/Wheelersburg games vs quality opponents at the top of the SEOhio food chain are great barometer games for even MORE improvement ! Wins ? heck yeah the Westsider WANT W's ! that's why you play the game as a competitor ! wins are the goal but even IF they are not - it appears that West now has the coaches & players to TAKE positives out of losses and BUILD on them to become an even better TEAM ... believing in a system - defense - is a mental game ... when you get in a game vs quality teams who can exploit weaknesses it takes mental toughness to say - "it works - we can do this" - stick with it ... don't panic - stick with your beliefs - defense wins games and BELIEF IN YOURSELF when things get tough - if you can do THAT - good things happen ... I wish the best for the Westsiders ! they are making the best showing by a West basketball team in many ,many , many years in the rankings ! - and where they are in the Elite 8 rankings has not been easy as they have had to prove themselves every week ! having to climb up the charts ! they weren't "given" a great starting point - they've earned it ... props from pfloyd go to :

Ryan Sissel, Luke Howard, Tanner Cantrell, Jesse Dixon, Marion Phillips, Steven Sadler, Noah Coleman, Luke Bradford, Andrew Jones, Rodney Moore, Mitchell Irwin, Jacob Davis, Brennan Overby, Brandon Koch, Eli Adkins
As a longtime West basketball supporter I am beyond pumped the way the season is unfolding. Coach McClanahan has the guys bought into playing tough defense. Good chance to go 7 straight against Oak Hill at home next Tuesday night then we travel to Waverly downtown arena for a tough matchup that I believe we will be prepared for. Thanks for all you Pfloyd and Go Senators!

Loyal Loyal to The West Side
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

West will beat the doors off of Oak Hill. Go ahead and count it

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

FYI,,,,here in Arizona, our AIA (our version of OHSAA) has officially cancelled all high school winter sports (not counting prep schools ). This includes boys and girls basketball and soccer So enjoy your BB. Hear that Trojan posters!

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

True test is if any SE District teams make it to the Regionals.

Hopefully have some make it that far.

No convo this year so will be weird.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

hbk1999 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm True test is if any SE District teams make it to the Regionals.

Piketon at 10-3 HBK. How you feel about your guys chances in the district right now?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

mlittle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm
hbk1999 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm True test is if any SE District teams make it to the Regionals.

Piketon at 10-3 HBK. How you feel about your guys chances in the district right now?
I'm not HBK but I'll give my input.

I think most would agree that they will (most likey) come across as the #5 seed in the D3 district... The problem there is that they will (most likey) face the #4 seed in the district SEMI's (probably Adena or Burg)... Very tough game to advance to the district finals.

D3 has 4 great teams, a very solid 5th in Piketon, then 4-5 more teams that have the potential to pull an upset (teams like South Point, Minford, West, Ironton, North Adams etc. )

Watching SE Ohio basketball
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 am
mlittle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm

I'm not HBK but I'll give my input.

I think most would agree that they will (most likey) come across as the #5 seed in the D3 district... The problem there is that they will (most likey) face the #4 seed in the district SEMI's (probably Adena or Burg)... Very tough game to advance to the district finals.

D3 has 4 great teams, a very solid 5th in Piketon, then 4-5 more teams that have the potential to pull an upset (teams like South Point, Minford, West, Ironton, North Adams etc. )
Either one of those would be very tough but winnable games for them. The only thing that worries me is the 3 toughest games on their schedule they lost. (Fairland, Adena, Unioto) I’ll admit they look much improved since their loss to us tho. If they knock off Unioto or Adena second half I think that would go a long way in giving them the confidence to make it to a district title game.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Looking at the brackets, you do realize that 2 teams in each division are guaranteed to make the Regionals.

Return to “Boys Basketball”