Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason Edition 20-21

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason Edition 20-21

Post by Ironman92 »

Prime Time wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:03 pm Ironman 92 , I disagree with your rankings, Portsmouth should be no better than 46 with Western , or Western(SOC1) school should be tied with Portsmouth at 33 western tied Portsmouth in a scrimmage a few days ago.Teams 34-45 I really couldn’t see Portsmouth even playing 500 with those teams. Portsmouth plays number 50 West Unionand 51 Portsmouth West 52 Rock Hill , let’s see how that works out for them.
There are probably 15 teams you could argue for the top 10, probably 30 you could argue for top 20, probably 50 you could argue for top 35 and probably 65 you could argue for top 50....if someone put Western at 28 or 48, not sure I could argue. I DID Have Western higher but they were one of the handful of teams that got the courteous fall due to me remembering other teams. I love Western Pike, they were smart enough there to never let the mullet fade. Probably could’ve had a final 4 but had a principal as their coach.

Did Harrop follow Howard or did Kight? I think Kight followed Howard....which is neat as Howard followed Kight’s Dad at Jackson.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I've called out Pfloyd 167865 times since he started the rankings. Well, actually, the history of the Elite 8 began as 93Bulldogs Top 8 on JJHuddle - then morphed into 93Bulldog/Pfloyd - then eventually just Pfloyds Elite 8 on Preps. But all the times I've questioned his rankings whether it was with Athens, Trimble, Eastern, Southern, etc ... it was ALWAYS in good fun! We're talking HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS for god's sake, to actually get upset or take someone's rankings that serious is just stupid.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:06 pm I've called out Pfloyd 167865 times since he started the rankings. Well, actually, the history of the Elite 8 began as 93Bulldogs Top 8 on JJHuddle - then morphed into 93Bulldog/Pfloyd - then eventually just Pfloyds Elite 8 on Preps. But all the times I've questioned his rankings whether it was with Athens, Trimble, Eastern, Southern, etc ... it was ALWAYS in good fun! We're talking HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS for god's sake, to actually get upset or take someone's rankings that serious is just stupid.
He’s 100% biased to Warren Local....but also his friend is an elite coach and that program has always been good to him....but never ranks them unreasonably, just favorably.

Also....about where would you put Athens?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't think Floyd is bias toward Warren at all, I think he just puts a strong emphasis on GREAT COACHING, excellent basketball systems, quality programs. There have been a few years when Trimble was ranked in the top 15, but really were closer to a top 25 or even 30 team. But that Caldwell affect pushed them higher. It's a fair assessment, fair ranking as 9 times out of 10 those teams with great coaches end up having longer tournament runs than most.

Dragons16
Waterboy

Post by Dragons16 »

Pfloyd surely you won’t disappoint the masses because of two posters. I have read seops for more than 10 years and come to this site to see what you have to say more than anything else. I have thought at times the Dragons were too high and at others too low but heck the Buckeyes are always too low if they are not number 1. TrojanDave needs to get a grip on life this is like trying to fact-check an OPINION. I promise there are thousands of readers that want you to do what you do and maybe two that don’t. Although I would say even they want you to continue but just change YOUR OPINION! Please don’t stop Elite 8!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Dragons16 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:01 pm Pfloyd surely you won’t disappoint the masses because of two posters. I have read seops for more than 10 years and come to this site to see what you have to say more than anything else. I have thought at times the Dragons were too high and at others too low but heck the Buckeyes are always too low if they are not number 1. TrojanDave needs to get a grip on life this is like trying to fact-check an OPINION. I promise there are thousands of readers that want you to do what you do and maybe two that don’t. Although I would say even they want you to continue but just change YOUR OPINION! Please don’t stop Elite 8!!!
Let's get this thread BACK from the dark side please ...

* Portsmouth is at #40 in my preseason - all of the jumping up and down won't change that ... I've been proven wrong before ... Portsmouth plays 3 straight games from 12/8 - 12/15 vs higher ranked teams in my preseason again show me on the court I was wrong ... in December (unless games are cancelled etc.) PHS plays 3/4 games vs higher preseason ranked teams - South Point (22), Chesapeake (11), Fairland (1), Rock Hill (60) ... 4 or their next 11 games are vs higher ranked teams in the preseason AGAIN show me I'm wrong - the chance to do so is there ... I hope they do !!! I want teams to do well ! ... win they move up ...lose? not so much ... the opportunities are their to show that someone on the team from last season besides Fraulini can score from the perimeter ... PHS has speed, can get to the rim - a given but they struggled vs the teams that played solid D and who took away the perimeter game ... 4/5 starters DOES bode well for the Trojans and should ! BUT they need shooters and perimeter scorers so they are at least a threat to score from the perimeter AGAIN prove me wrong ...

** trojandave and biggdowg are great guys !!! I've know them seemingly forever! have sat with them CHEERING ON THE TROJANS ! yes trojandave is a fanatic PHS fan ... yes trojandave has told me in no uncertain terms how wrong I have been in the past ranking the Trojans ... I can take the criticism ... and I can still call them both friends, fans of the game of hoops ...

*** 93bulldog and I HAVE disagreed at least the 161,000+ times he posted over the years !!! it's been all in good fun - Morgan should still be included in the SEO rankings 93dog !!!

**** I'm still ranking teams, it apparently will go back to the beginning days of the rankings before I started traveling SEO - knowledge of teams will come from you the posters on SEOPS, the newspaper accounts of the games all over SEO, listening to games on the radio, watching as many live streamed games as possible ... I love high school boys hoops!!! end of story ... I will continue to follow the teams all 71 or so ALL season !!! it's what I do ... is it ideal this season - far from it ... can't even do game recaps with napkin stats this season !!!

***** ALL posters on this site should feel they can disagree with anything I post, from the rankings to may day to day posts WITHOUT feeling that I can't handle the criticism - I have, I can, and I will ... however keep the disagreements to the facts ... I hope trojandave and biggdowgg both stay on SEOPS! they have been and are outstanding posters on this site ...

****** Am I bias? if anyone has followed SEOPS over the years - as 93bulldog - pointed out I favor and give a lot of weight to TEAMS who are led by the outstanding coaches, those who do it right ON the court, those who have built THE outstanding programs/systems in SEO ... yes they don't drop as fast down the rankings - usually they play the better non-conference schedules to challenge their teams ... Warren - the BBB moved automatically into the top 8 with the return of pg Seth Dennis , size 6-5, 6-5, 6-5 across the front along with Seth Dennis, he allows those bigs to BE bigs! they have to create off the dribble they can NOW go up with the ball and BE 6-5 at the rim - throw in the Coach Maddox taught defense, the transition scoring is back with the Dennis quickness on the perimeter again ... yep the Maddox's, the Stiverson's, the Hoops', the Caldwells,the Morrow's, the Davis's, the Speed's, the Coach Eversole's, the Coach Robertson's, the Coach Norm's, Coach Huffer's, Coach Combs's of SEO will get love from the rankings until they don't due to what takes place on the court ...

******* WE need to get this back to HOOPS ! WE need to inform each other about the teams we support so WE ALL get a feel for the hoops in SEO this season as it IS not a "normal" season ... time to shake hands and NOT come out fighting ... support the players, the coaches, the TEAMS - all teams in SEO and pray we can get in a full season and post season ...

... post on !!!
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 pm I don't think Floyd is bias toward Warren at all, I think he just puts a strong emphasis on GREAT COACHING, excellent basketball systems, quality programs. There have been a few years when Trimble was ranked in the top 15, but really were closer to a top 25 or even 30 team. But that Caldwell affect pushed them higher. It's a fair assessment, fair ranking as 9 times out of 10 those teams with great coaches end up having longer tournament runs than most.
93bulldog !!! YOU DO KNOW ME after all of these years - going on about 20 of them LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Games that are still being played this week ?

11/25 ... Greenfield McClain at the U
11/27 ... Athens @ Zanesville
11/27 ... Marietta vs Olentangy Liberty
11/28 ... Marietta & Athens will play a 2nd game in the Zanesville Tip Off event
11/28 ... the Piketon Tip Off classic is still ago who plays whom ?

... start putting out the info on games being played - schools have cancelled/postponed the start of the season etc. we need info folks ...

Braves87
Freshman Team

Post by Braves87 »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:53 pm Games that are still being played this week ?

11/28 ... Marietta & Athens will play a 2nd game in the Zanesville Tip Off event

... start putting out the info on games being played - schools have cancelled/postponed the start of the season etc. we need info folks ...

Pfloyd
Thank you so much for all the hard work you do, it is appreciated! It looks like the Braves of Logan Elm do not start their season until December.
12/01 vs Teays Valley @ LE
12/05 vs Bloom Carroll @ BC
Hopefully you have a nice big tv so you can live stream about 10 games at the same time lol! Have a great thanksgiving and a safe basketball season!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Clay plays paint valley on the 27th then turns around and play Trimble saturday the 28th. Not sure where the games are being played.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Braves87 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:19 pm
pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:53 pm Games that are still being played this week ?

Pfloyd
Thank you so much for all the hard work you do, it is appreciated! It looks like the Braves of Logan Elm do not start their season until December.
12/01 vs Teays Valley @ LE
12/05 vs Bloom Carroll @ BC
Hopefully you have a nice big tv so you can live stream about 10 games at the same time lol! Have a great thanksgiving and a safe basketball season!
LOL ... it looks like that will be how I'll have to do it !!! back atcha - have a great Thanksgiving and stay safe !!!

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

The Piketon Tip Off Classic is 12/5
I believe it’s Western Pike vs Southeastern and Piketon vs South Point

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:47 pm

The Piketon Tip Off Classic is 12/5
I believe it’s Western Pike vs Southeastern and Piketon vs South Point
... thanks Smokyhollowbandit for the correction - I knew it was being played didn't realize it wasn't the first weekend of the season like last year ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Alexander was suppose to be at Belpre Friday - but they have suspended school activities until Dec. 7th so I am not sure now.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The U draws first blood of the season picking up a 58-32 opening game W vs McClain ... The Shermans pulled off the Tri-Fecta Sweep on the evening ... lots of good pieces for Coach Hoops - some 6-5, 6-5, 6-6 size, experience on the perimeter in Isaac Little and Gunnar Greenwalt ... 3 point scoring from Debord/Little/Greenwalt/Park ... the usual solid Unioto D, ball movement ... I like what I saw tonight for the Shermans ...

Unioto 58
McClain 32 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Will we have the scoreboard operational on SEOPs this season?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:58 pm The U draws first blood of the season picking up a 58-32 opening game W vs McClain ... The Shermans pulled off the Tri-Fecta Sweep on the evening ... lots of good pieces for Coach Hoops - some 6-5, 6-5, 6-6 size, experience on the perimeter in Isaac Little and Gunnar Greenwalt ... 3 point scoring from Debord/Little/Greenwalt/Park ... the usual solid Unioto D, ball movement ... I like what I saw tonight for the Shermans ...

Unioto 58
McClain 32 a final
Thanks pfloyd. I’m not sure what I expected with it being first game. I suspect there will be a lot of rough looking ball with kids in and out of quarantine and zero summer ball. Either McClain isn’t as good as I thought they might be or our defense is gonna be really good again this year. Hopefully the latter. It was nice to see the outside shots start falling in the fourth and our defense was stingy all night with one of our top defenders out tonight. We had 4 almost touch double digits and if your balanced line that most nights it’s Gina work out. We have a long way to go buy hopefully before long we will start gelling and the shots start falling and we start rocking! But we 1-0! And we played an actual game tonight. So it was a great night for the boys

Little 18
Greenwalt 16 (14 in the 4th)
Debord 9
Branson 8

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The only scores I found from last night Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line were :

Unioto 58
McClain 32

South Gallia 63
Oak Hill 48

Bloom Carroll win outta the MSL and FU cancelled their scheduled game ... the napkin stats of the season have started ...

I won’t put out the first regular season rankings until a week from this coming Sunday (12/06) ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Just catching up on all the "happenings" on SEOPS as alot of us are making our yearly return with Boys hoops upon us. Glad cooler heads prevailed and floyd rankings will continue as they have become a staple in SE District. Hopeful Covid doesn't take too many games from us and we can a have a halfway normal season. Eastern Pike at #69 hurts...Lol. I liked Ironmans 54 better, Very young but could suprise some teams as I believe the SOC2 will prepare them for March and they'll be competitive in D4 Tournament.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

beaverlover wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:54 pm Just catching up on all the "happenings" on SEOPS as alot of us are making our yearly return with Boys hoops upon us. Glad cooler heads prevailed and floyd rankings will continue as they have become a staple in SE District. Hopeful Covid doesn't take too many games from us and we can a have a halfway normal season. Eastern Pike at #69 hurts...Lol. I liked Ironmans 54 better, Very young but could suprise some teams as I believe the SOC2 will prepare them for March and they'll be competitive in D4 Tournament.
Eastern Pike is a total unknown to me this season beaverlover ! Hence the starting position - the more I learn as the season starts the more accurate their placement will get ... I hope they live stream their games so I can give them the eye test... I am soooooo ready to dive into hoops !!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”