Wheelersburg (2) vs Piketon (1). Thoughts?

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Wheelersburg (2) vs Piketon (1). Thoughts?

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:39 pm
OSU Alumni 2003 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm TP is by far the best player from either of these 2 teams. Only way piketon wins is if Blanton goes off for 25 along with purdues 35. And purdue has the ability to make those better around him.

I'm guessing Piketon is going to play up tempo then with two players doing most of the shooting??? Should be pretty easy to defend :o :o

Look for Burg to start out with Dyer on Perdue. Make him work for everything he gets. Dyer might have three fouls by the end of the first quarter but that tough defense will drag him down.
LOL, think teams haven't done that to Perdue all year?? Only thing 3 fouls after 1st quarter will get is Dyer sitting on the bench until 3rd-4th quarter. LOL. Like the confidence but you want to see good hard defense with 1 foul after 1st quarter. Just have to make Perdue work for it and contain Blanton to me he's the key keeping him from hitting 3s. Burg though just to much athleticism for Piketon burg by double digits.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

OSU Alumni 2003 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm TP is by far the best player from either of these 2 teams. Only way piketon wins is if Blanton goes off for 25 along with purdues 35. And purdue has the ability to make those better around him.
I didn't know Perdue had offers from OU and Marshall. Give Holden some credit he is a very good basketball player.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

bobcats94 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 pm
I didn't know Perdue had offers from OU and Marshall. Give Holden some credit he is a very good basketball player.
Holden is awesome but he is getting offers based off his size and upside. He’s getting recruited based off what he “can” be. Perdue is better right now. Ask 10 non burg fans who they take if they had to win 1 game and all 10 would take Perdue.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Blanton doesn’t need to score 25 either. Kids need to just play within themselves. We’ve had several kids step up at certain points this year and had Big scoring games. Blanton has had a 20 pt. Game. Veach 18-20 Little 17-18. Reader in double digits several times. We’re at a point in the tourney now where ALL our players need to be at their best to advance.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

If Blanton puts up 25 points along with Perdues 35 then Piketon may put up 80 Points.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

greygoose wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm guessing Piketon is going to play up tempo then with two players doing most of the shooting??? Should be pretty easy to defend :o :o

Look for Burg to start out with Dyer on Perdue. Make him work for everything he gets. Dyer might have three fouls by the end of the first quarter but that tough defense will drag him down.
LOL, think teams haven't done that to Perdue all year?? Only thing 3 fouls after 1st quarter will get is Dyer sitting on the bench until 3rd-4th quarter. LOL. Like the confidence but you want to see good hard defense with 1 foul after 1st quarter. Just have to make Perdue work for it and contain Blanton to me he's the key keeping him from hitting 3s. Burg though just to much athleticism for Piketon burg by double digits.
Burg has good athletes but Piketon has seen good athletes all year, Swackhammer, Hill, Fisher, Kennedy, Evans and many more. And how bout this resume the Streaks have built. 19-5 record 4 of those losses coming to Unioto, Eastern, Paint Valley all who played in a District Semifinal with Unioto and Eastern possibly going to Regionals, and a loss to Zane Trace in OT who IMO should’ve been in the District. NO BAD LOSSES!!!. And wins against Zane Trace, @ Paint Valley (25 point win), @ Peebles( Playing in District Championship). Looks like Piketon is a legit team to me. And Reader, Veach, Little are capable of scoring double digits with Mathews, Taylor, Thacker capable of scoring 6-8. Piketon will be ready and wins in a close one

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

mlittle wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:15 pm
Holden is awesome but he is getting offers based off his size and upside. He’s getting recruited based off what he “can” be. Perdue is better right now. Ask 10 non burg fans who they take if they had to win 1 game and all 10 would take Perdue.
I'm afraid I don't understand your logic when you say ask 10 non burg fans when your a Piketon fan pleading your case for a Piketon player.. Kinda biased maybe.. Im actually a fan of burg's biggest rival but sometimes you have to take your blinders off.. :lol:

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 pm
greygoose wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Burg has good athletes but Piketon has seen good athletes all year, Swackhammer, Hill, Fisher, Kennedy, Evans and many more. And how bout this resume the Streaks have built. 19-5 record 4 of those losses coming to Unioto, Eastern, Paint Valley all who played in a District Semifinal with Unioto and Eastern possibly going to Regionals, and a loss to Zane Trace in OT who IMO should’ve been in the District. NO BAD LOSSES!!!. And wins against Zane Trace, @ Paint Valley (25 point win), @ Peebles( Playing in District Championship). Looks like Piketon is a legit team to me. And Reader, Veach, Little are capable of scoring double digits with Mathews, Taylor, Thacker capable of scoring 6-8. Piketon will be ready and wins in a close one
Yep looks good on paper, no one is saying they're not a legit team, however a 23 point loss to Unioto and 13 point loss to PV is little more than just a loss. Piketon is a good team just need more to carry them points wise than last game. Every team has 2-3 guys that don't average double digits but are capable of hitting double digits, simply pointing them out and saying are capable isn't the same as doing on a consistent basis. I'm rooting for piketon and hope they win but it's going to have to be more of a team effort scoring because Burg is not going to allow Perdue and Blanton the 2 guys that scored 42 of the 54 points to beat them. Like I said lay it out on paper however you want, that's why they play the game. Alexander crumbled under the pressure, don't look for Burg to hand the game over that easy. Rooting for Piketon but just feel Burg is going to pull this one out.

Hoopsallday
Waterboy

Post by Hoopsallday »

Wheelersburg 58
Piketon 41

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

If I would pick Perdue. If Holden would play as hard as he's capable of playing he would probably be my pick. He kinda of acts like he is to good to be out on the court with everyone one else and just goes through the motions alot of the times.

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

bobcats94 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand your logic when you say ask 10 non burg fans when your a Piketon fan pleading your case for a Piketon player.. Kinda biased maybe.. Im actually a fan of burg's biggest rival but sometimes you have to take your blinders off.. :lol:

Lol he has a problem with that. Lol

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I get it. I’m not taking anything away from Holden. I think the kid is amazing. You made your case based off who had college offers. That doesn’t always mean that player is better right now.

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

If Piketon comes out like normal and trys to full court press and trap Wheelersburg, they will be calling a timeout down 10 points fast.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 pm Don’t see how Burg is a 15,20,25 or 30 point favorite in this game, I believe Piketon is the one seed and belongs and deserved to be in this game, it’s a little early to be singing good ole Pirate jigs, Heard there’s a thunderstorm brewing on friday. Can’t wait for this one it’s going to live up to the price of admission
Piketon is the 1 seed, but obviously the Jackson sectional was much stronger this year with 3 teams still playing and Piketon is the only 1 from the Waverly sectional.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

bobcats94 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 pm
AnkleBraces wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:48 pm Burg beats northwest by 6 and 8 this year but they're going to blow out a team that averages 65 ppg. You guys are a prisoner of the moment. This one will be a game. Piketon has the best player. Burg has the best athlete. If Piketon can outrebound Alexander by 10 with a 6'9" kid then I'm sure they can hold their own against burg.

Piketon won a couple quarter against Harvest Prep in a scrimmage too so don't count your chickens yet Burg fans. This isn't football or baseball.
If your comparing Perdue (player) to Holden (athlete) I've watched each team play multiple times and Holden has a much better all around game. Perdue can score but guarded by someone with Holden's size and athletic ability wouldn't be good. McLaughlin and Holden are in a different category simply because they're 6'5 kids that are more athletic and very good shooters/ball handlers. Burg by 10.
Evidently you have never seen Perdue throw it off the glass and two hand slam it behind his head. He is shooting 55% from the field on the year and 35% from 3. He's so much stronger than those two players. Folks forget he is a PG. He is playing the post (at times) to help his team. I guarantee Holden doesn't even guard Perdue.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 am
bobcats94 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 pm
AnkleBraces wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:48 pm Burg beats northwest by 6 and 8 this year but they're going to blow out a team that averages 65 ppg. You guys are a prisoner of the moment. This one will be a game. Piketon has the best player. Burg has the best athlete. If Piketon can outrebound Alexander by 10 with a 6'9" kid then I'm sure they can hold their own against burg.

Piketon won a couple quarter against Harvest Prep in a scrimmage too so don't count your chickens yet Burg fans. This isn't football or baseball.
If your comparing Perdue (player) to Holden (athlete) I've watched each team play multiple times and Holden has a much better all around game. Perdue can score but guarded by someone with Holden's size and athletic ability wouldn't be good. McLaughlin and Holden are in a different category simply because they're 6'5 kids that are more athletic and very good shooters/ball handlers. Burg by 10.
Evidently you have never seen Perdue throw it off the glass and two hand slam it behind his head. He is shooting 55% from the field on the year and 35% from 3. He's so much stronger than those two players. Folks forget he is a PG. He is playing the post (at times) to help his team. I guarantee Holden doesn't even guard Perdue.
Guaranteed he doesn’t guard him. He’ll be in foul trouble from the tip if he does. Perdue like most games this year will be the most dominant player on the court this Saturday

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

mlittle wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 am

I get it. I’m not taking anything away from Holden. I think the kid is amazing. You made your case based off who had college offers. That doesn’t always mean that player is better right now.
Holden scored 4 and 9 against Lucasville Valley....but he is better all around then Perdue haha.

Perdue was in the top 10 in every statistical category in the SVC. 49 points against the best team around (Unioto) in two games

24.5 ppg
10 rpg at 6'0"
3 apg from the post
3 spg
1 bpg

55 fg %
35 3pt %
80 ft %

Only player with better statistical performances than Perdue lately is Beau Justice.

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

Penguin wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:19 am If Piketon comes out like normal and trys to full court press and trap Wheelersburg, they will be calling a timeout down 10 points fast.
If they press they will get killed

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

If they press Wheelersburg it will be a good ole fashioned butt whooping.

Their best bet is to slow Wheelersburg down and make Burg execute in a half court. Wheelersburg has plenty of kids that can shoot and score, but if you let their athletes get out and run you're in serious trouble.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

ronm001 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:49 am
Penguin wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:19 am If Piketon comes out like normal and trys to full court press and trap Wheelersburg, they will be calling a timeout down 10 points fast.
If they press they will get killed
I agree. Need to play this one in the half court to give yourself a chance to win. Ok to throw it in here and there but I wouldn’t press full court the whole game. Also Little is typically a non factor when they run that pace and they need him to have a decent game scoring. Along with others. You can still pressure and cause chaos in the half court.

Return to “Boys Basketball”