2018 Ironton Head football coach

fbnut
SEOP

Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by fbnut »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 pm I only watched him last season, they had a lot of injury's that hurt them, the last three games
more than half the starters were out,so it would unfair for me to judge him.
I do think he needs a staff around him. I have a family member on the team, and
he likes coach Vass.
The last several years it seems that ironton always has a ton of injuries that sidelines kids throughout the season. Is it just bad luck or something to do with the way there preparing the kids in the offseason and throughout the season?

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

fbnut wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:03 pm
Mavrick2016 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 pm I only watched him last season, they had a lot of injury's that hurt them, the last three games
more than half the starters were out,so it would unfair for me to judge him.
I do think he needs a staff around him. I have a family member on the team, and
he likes coach Vass.
The last several years it seems that ironton always has a ton of injuries that sidelines kids throughout the season. Is it just bad luck or something to do with the way there preparing the kids in the offseason and throughout the season?
That's usually what happens when the other team is bigger, faster, stronger, and the more physical team.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I disagree in some respects. when bob lutz coached and they were playing the mega teams like desales, Watterson's, Hartley's and the much larger schools of the SEOAL. we never had that many starters out with major injuries. of course you will always have serious injuries in football. because it's football. but are they still running the bleachers, pushing a 7 man sled with the coaches standing on them, full contact practices, proper weight training, is the practice as tough and exhausting. are the athletes playing 3 sports. is gym class physical enough, do they even still have gym class. I ask, because I don't know. not to be a jerk. if not, then you are going to be more injury prone. that's what it is going to take, nothing has changed about the game in that respect. then you can be better prepared for bigger, faster, stronger, more physical.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Bate Ironton off season weight program is as bad as I have seen this day and age for any school.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

then if that's the case, and I have no idea. it just sounds like laziness, and lack of motivation,and supervision and that's on any and everybody responsible, including the players. it's like a fist fight, if you fight somebody that is stronger and is good at fighting, you'll likely lose. and ole bait has been took to the woodshed a couple of times himself. I never liked fighting, and never started one. but I was in more than too many scrapes myself. but if you are not preparing strength wise to prepare for a fight. and let's face it playing football is a fight every play. albeit for a 5/6 second period each play. you trade blows with the guy across from you a couple series' then it gets serious. that's one of the few things so cool about football, you can get as aggressive as mean as you want every play, and it's legal , if you're playing within the rules. but if you are not preparing physically, mentally, and are not being pushed to do so, then you'll get manhandled. and ironton always prided themselves in going the distance, cause most starters played offense, defense, and likely special teams. but a well conditioned tiger team always fought till the last whistle. even against teams that could trade 9/10 kids out at a time for fresh ones. it's that simple, nothing has changed with football, other than a few rule changes. and schemes, you still have to out muscle, and out hustle your opponents, and limit turnovers. and now 2 a days are taken out of the equation and for the most and part full contact tackle football practices. especially with smaller districts with less depth. so if you're not putting in the work you won't win championships. and you are more prone to injuries.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

there is nothing derogatory or demeaning about any of that, it's just a fact. and you need the leadership to do so. whomever it may be.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

I don't believe that the weight training is as bad as he say's it is.
I think that he should close workouts to outsiders.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

From a players standpoint, it boils down to ability and attitude. Every player that walks through that locker room door, needs to have the attitude that they will play any position the coach deems necessary in helping the team. If they don't, they lose and any coach that will allow that attitude to infiltrate their program, needs to go. Ironton was successful for many years by getting the right players into the right position. No "it's all about me players" were tolerated. In some years, the ability was not there, but attitude still prevailed.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:06 pm I don't believe that the weight training is as bad as he say's it is.
I think that he should close workouts to outsiders.
That would correct the problem!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

79Tiger wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:31 pm From a players standpoint, it boils down to ability and attitude. Every player that walks through that locker room door, needs to have the attitude that they will play any position the coach deems necessary in helping the team. If they don't, they lose and any coach that will allow that attitude to infiltrate their program, needs to go. Ironton was successful for many years by getting the right players into the right position. No "it's all about me players" were tolerated. In some years, the ability was not there, but attitude still prevailed.
that's a great post.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

So when do we find out IF there will be a new coach at Ironton?

If there is, I smell a union grievance and a big can of worms.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

OVC wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm So when do we find out IF there will be a new coach at Ironton?

I've been told the next school board meeting, I think they will rehire Vass.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 pm
OVC wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm So when do we find out IF there will be a new coach at Ironton?

They have not even closed out the application process outside at this time. I will say that if Vass is hired back the program will continue to fall backwards as it has for the last 3 years.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Why would they open it up to the Public if they were going to rehire him? That seems like a colossal waste of everyone’s time if so, especially for those that have applied

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Why would they open it up to the Public if they were going to rehire him? That seems like a colossal waste of everyone’s time if so, especially for those that have applied
I heard the people who have applied, are looking for their first coaching job, and a few that haven't won in their other coaching jobs.
The person everyone was hoping would applied didn't. So that's why I think they will rehire Vass.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Keep in mind Vass had never coached a game on Friday night either. Vass had no responsibility at all during Friday nights games and they hired him. He was released by Portsmouth West because he was to lazy to show up at practice. The town has soured on Vass and he should move.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

You don't want someone that's never coached before, unless you can find a winning coach to applied,
then Vass will be the guy, if he gets a new staff then things will get better.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I don’t know, maybe they need to break out of their box to hire someone fresh. All great coaches at one time were first timers.

Kids come First
Waterboy

Post by Kids come First »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:23 pm I don’t know, maybe they need to break out of their box to hire someone fresh. All great coaches at one time were first timers.
That’s why wheelersburg has passed Ironton in everything now. Burg is willing to make changes!

Kids come First
Waterboy

Post by Kids come First »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 pm You don't want someone that's never coached before, unless you can find a winning coach to applied,
then Vass will be the guy, if he gets a new staff then things will get better.
You sound like a true Vass supporter. Maybe a dad that helps him coach? New assistants can’t help that man.

Return to “Football”