2018 Ironton Head football coach

Proud_Pirate63
S

Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

TOUGH wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:44 pm I don’t understand how that would make Grizzle or Ray a better applicant. Both guys are fairly young and was given a shot by someone. Yes they have experience but it’s not like they have countless years of experience. We’re noy talking about a Bob Lutz or Ed Miller type candidate. Both those guys have expericenced a little bit of success but neither have any marquee wins and barely finish above .500. I’m not saying they aren’t good coaches but to say they are clear cut better candidates is absurd. If that is true that Mark Dantonio said that about Pendleton than ppl should take notice. That’s coming from a guy that’s on Urban Meyer level.

Ironton hired a coach several years back with little coaching experience and that was at one of the smallest schools in the state and that turned out rather okay as that guy went on to hold the win record for the entire state. Also ask Coal Grove how it turned out hiring a guy that had no head coaching experience and only coached junior high and freshman ball. They smacked Ironton around last year with a rookie head coach. Their only loss was to a really good West team who my sources have said that Pendleton had a lot to do with their success. I’ve heard from many west fans that say he completely changes the locker room and mentality there. They went from 3-7 to 10-2 in one year and played a tough schedule. Granted their kids got older but there was also something that happened behind the scenes. If you don’t believe me go talk to the folks at the plants up here from the west side.
Well let’s compare the three. All three played college football. Even. Ray and Grizzle both have head coaching experience and Pendleton does not. Advantage Ray and Grizzle. Now I’m not saying Pendleton cannot do a good job because everyone had to start somewhere. But if you wanted to hire from the outside and have some experience to boot then they would be ahead of him on my list. A strength and conditioning coach usually doesn’t jump right to head coach. Maybe to a coordinator position. But of course this all just my opinion. It’s not absurd, just different from yours.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 am I have heard some kids are waiting to see, who's hired before they stay or leave.
some want to play for Vass, and his new staff. I think the board is taking to long in
hiring a coach, I also think that more than two people should be interviewing people
that have applied.

I hate to see any kid leave BUT, If your waiting to see what Coach gets hired you’re not that dedicated to being a Fighting Tiger anyhow.
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

coach knows wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:42 pm
4th and iches wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:05 pm Just because someone plays college sport doesn’t make him a good coach , nothing against the Pendleton kid but hiring someone without any head coaching experience would be a big mistake
That could happen with any hire correct? Focus on what he knows and what coaches he will bring with experience. One interviewer said he really loves and knows the game.
I agree

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TOUGH wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:50 pm I’ve heard there’s one consensus choice that most Ironton faithful want. I was told that both interviewers has told ppl this guy also had the best interview and had put together a staff that will be the best in Southern Ohio but the interviewers have agendas and are using his lack of head coaching experience as a scape goat. I’m sure you can fill in the blanks on who the candidate is. Ironton has a serious mess right now and until they clean house or school board steps in they will screw this process up.
Best in southern Ohio? Burg staff says, hello. Plus you have to develop a program ground up. Coming in with some football knowledge won’t right this ship.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

With the names I’ve heard. It would be hard to match his staff even at Wheelersburg. Supposedly 3 coaches with head coaching expericence at the high school level. One is a current head coach at another program right now. I’m hearing guys that have coaching experience at the college level As graduate assistants not from around here. Pretty impressive.

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

TOUGH wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:24 pm With the names I’ve heard. It would be hard to match his staff even at Wheelersburg. Supposedly 3 coaches with head coaching expericence at the high school level. One is a current head coach at another program right now. I’m hearing guys that have coaching experience at the college level As graduate assistants not from around here. Pretty impressive.
That all sounds wonderful, and not to play devil's advocate here, but how would Ironton pay that staff if they are coming from all over?

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

GA’s don’t get paid in college. Most do it to get their masters paid. From what I’ve been told he doesn’t even get his money from his training facility. I hear his family is pretty well off and he works for the family at a business. I was told
He was getting some of the assistants jobs in order to come help him.

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

Wow Ironton is in disarray.

You got the old Ironton castoffs volunteering their buddies as assistant coaches.

We have young coaches who are Graduate Assistants at colleges gonna quit and relocate to this poverty stricken area without teaching jobs and head coaches quit their current positions with no teaching jobs just to be assistants on a high school team making at best a couple thousand a year. Geez

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Cato wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:15 pm Wow Ironton is in disarray.

You got the old Ironton castoffs volunteering their buddies as assistant coaches.

We have young coaches who are Graduate Assistants at colleges gonna quit and relocate to this poverty stricken area without teaching jobs and head coaches quit their current positions with no teaching jobs just to be assistants on a high school team making at best a couple thousand a year. Geez
Young GAs have many different degrees. All aren’t teachers. Many are just looking for an opportunity to get their foot in the door and coach football and build a resume. It’s not easy to land jobs in the college ranks. Not a better place to do it than at a school with a very rich history. Ironton also pays very well compared to other schools around the area. I’d say an assistant at Ironton pays about the same as a HC at other schools. This source is very reliable and has a direct connection with the people potentially on his staff if he were to get the job.

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

If a former player is a graduate assistant at a university then the head coach obviously thought enough of their potential as a coach to let them be a graduate assistant. And if this were the case it's hard to believe they would have to relocate to Ironton Ohio just to be an assistant on a high school football team.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Is it safe to say yet, that this whole situation could have put Ironton into the era of being a mediocre team who lives on their successes from an era of which they were considered the cream of the crop in southern Ohio. The longer this goes the more it could hurt the program, especially with schools like Coal Grove and Oak Hill impressing more people now and Rock Hill having Lutz son as their head coach looking to turn that program straight again, the longer this takes Ironton could see kids head there or Burg.

McCribz44
Waterboy

Post by McCribz44 »

I don’t have a dog in this fight but from a former Fighting Tiger I would probably choose Grizzle from Greenup County. I have been implanted to Lawrence County KY and as someone that watches Lawrence against Greenup a couple years they are a completely different program under Grizzle. We used to be a close game with Greenup but now we can’t keep it close. No knowledge other than 2 times seeing Greenup vs us but they seem to have things moving in the right direction.

Kleao
Freshman Team

Post by Kleao »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:51 pm
eagle one wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:04 am
Game day wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:18 am Pendleton would be a good hire too. Young man that knows what it takes to be successful in all areas of the game. I also heard that there was some other coaches that would help him get started. These are Ironton high alumni and have coached for many years at the high school level. I spoke to one of them last summer and he said it would take something special for him to coach again. He must think this is something special for the town of Ironton.
heard from a very good source that pendelton would not be a great hire that he is a little bit of a know it all and a little bit cocky
Mark Dantonio says Pendelton is one of the smartest kids he’s ever coached and he knows football. Hard to believe you wouldn’t agree with that considering he is probably the best choice for the job. He did play for a big Power 5 program.
So have 3 of the new staff that Coach Vass is bringing on. All 3 division one schools.

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

April May June
Teams will be using their 10 days on 7 on 7's and practice in just over 3 months. Not alot of time

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Tartanblue wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:04 pm Is it safe to say yet, that this whole situation could have put Ironton into the era of being a mediocre team who lives on their successes from an era of which they were considered the cream of the crop in southern Ohio. The longer this goes the more it could hurt the program, especially with schools like Coal Grove and Oak Hill impressing more people now and Rock Hill having Lutz son as their head coach looking to turn that program straight again, the longer this takes Ironton could see kids head there or Burg.
The Lutz at Rock Hill is Bob's nephew, not his son........

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Tartanblue wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:04 pm Is it safe to say yet, that this whole situation could have put Ironton into the era of being a mediocre team who lives on their successes from an era of which they were considered the cream of the crop in southern Ohio. The longer this goes the more it could hurt the program, especially with schools like Coal Grove and Oak Hill impressing more people now and Rock Hill having Lutz son as their head coach looking to turn that program straight again, the longer this takes Ironton could see kids head there or Burg.
hey ole blue. mark ''hammer'' lutz is bob Lutz's nephew not his son. but been coaching since high school. so he has the experience, plus he played for coach lutz.
Last edited by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:22 am
hey ole blue. mark ''hammer'' lutz is bob Lutz's nephew not his son. but been coaching since high school. so he has the experience, plus he played for coach klutz.
Wow! YTB calling Bob Lutz a "klutz"-Freudian slip? :lol:

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

If nothing else, looks like this thread has brought some new posters to SEOPS lol.....

I vote Pendleton for the job, does my vote count?

Go Fighting Tigers......

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

This thread is so long some of these posters we only babies when it started. Come on Tigers find a coach already...

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Wouldn't be surprised at all to find, after all this time and speculation, that Vass is re-hired and nothing changes.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D

Return to “Football”