2018 Ironton Fighting Tigers The Pendleton Era

Jeep/pirate
Waterboy

Re: Pendleton - New Ironton Head Football Coach

Post by Jeep/pirate »

TOUGH wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 pm
Jeep/pirate wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:51 pm If you dig deep in previous forums I was the first to mention him as a candidate for this job. I’m just super curious of how big a mess ironton really is? I always thought of them as a Tri state power house when it comes to football and you need some special credentials to land a job like that. I read the write up in the paper and couldn’t believe the article was so inaccurate. Let’s start by saying by no means did he ever have a “ brief stint” with the Baltimore ravens. Secondly the West program has a junior senior to be class that has dominated the local youth football area since they were pee wee. By no means did he turn that program around or have anything to do with it. When that class came to high school they turned it around. Do you know him and his brother never held a actual coaching title last year? Complete conspiracy. They were helpers, I have two nephews still on the team, neither Pendleton attended every practice on a regular. He was a very successful football player and so was his brother, but I’m badazalled on how these write ups were published without some proof. I wish ironton all the luck with their new head coach because one thing I know he will bring is energy and hard work but idk about bringing a offense and a defensive game that is any better than they had. IMO ironton better hope he has some help on the way with him. Not players I mean coaching.

Sounds like your a little Butt Hurt over the hire..

Credentials??? This guy has as much credentials as any coaching hire in Southern Ohio in last 25 years. Just because he’s young doesn’t mean he isn’t qualified. He’s played at a level much higher than 99.9% of Southern Ohio has played at and if you read articles on him which it doesn’t sound like you do the coaching staff at MSU mentions him as having the Highest football IQ. Also there is articles done by Baltimore Ravens beat writers stating Pendleton did sign with Ravens and got hurt in pre season camp (I’ll prove later you don’t know what your taking about). Fo do know West went 3-7 the year before with basically the same team and turned it around to 9-1. By no means do I believe it was all Pendleton but I guarantee you he had something to do with it. Also, pee wee, junior high doesn’t correlate to High School. If that was the case Coal Grove would be the best program in Southern Ohio every year. I think your just a little jealous of the guy myself. I will say this with 100% certainty as I’m from Ironton and talking to the people that hired him and is around him at the School every day couldn’t be more excited about the hire and said look out cause this guy is going to do great things here. I think your going to be surprised in the very near future with our program.

https://spartanavenue.com/2016/05/01/br ... re-ravens/

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... man-moment

I’m not wasting my time clicking your links because I already know everything about the man. I know the family , and I’ve got nephews on the current team who’ve given me information. That being said I’ve stated before I was the first to mention him as a candidate. I believe he will bring hard work and energy, do I think those credentials are total BS yes I do. Nothing will change that because I know 100% that most of the write up is false. People are invited to pro camps all the time. They do need bodies to fill positions to get looks for players they are actually interested in. Once again, in 2017 he was not a coaching staff member by hire. He was a helping assistant who could come and go as he pleased. How good you are at sports is never a determination of your coaching ability. You think Bill from the pats was some superstar? I hope you guys the best. This is a forum to discuss things and I was just bringing to the attention that you ironton folks have been completely mislead on this mans credentials. Could be a home run hire, could be a complete shi* fest year one. We shall see.

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

Your getting all defensive every time someone has a issue with Hiring a coach with no coaching experience , you can take Pendleton name out of this, say they hired joe smith I would have the same concerns . I feel Ironton has hit a all time low by having to hire a guy with no coaching experience

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

wobycat wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:32 pm
Jeep/pirate wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:51 pm If you dig deep in previous forums I was the first to mention him as a candidate for this job. I’m just super curious of how big a mess ironton really is? I always thought of them as a Tri state power house when it comes to football and you need some special credentials to land a job like that. I read the write up in the paper and couldn’t believe the article was so inaccurate. Let’s start by saying by no means did he ever have a “ brief stint” with the Baltimore ravens. Secondly the West program has a junior senior to be class that has dominated the local youth football area since they were pee wee. By no means did he turn that program around or have anything to do with it. When that class came to high school they turned it around. Do you know him and his brother never held a actual coaching title last year? Complete conspiracy. They were helpers, I have two nephews still on the team, neither Pendleton attended every practice on a regular. He was a very successful football player and so was his brother, but I’m badazalled on how these write ups were published without some proof. I wish ironton all the luck with their new head coach because one thing I know he will bring is energy and hard work but idk about bringing a offense and a defensive game that is any better than they had. IMO ironton better hope he has some help on the way with him. Not players I mean coaching.

Credentials??? This guy has as much credentials as any coaching hire in Southern Ohio in last 25 years. Just because he’s young doesn’t mean he isn’t qualified. He’s played at a level much higher than 99.9% of Southern Ohio has played at and if you read articles on him which it doesn’t sound like you do the coaching staff at MSU mentions him as having the Highest football IQ. Also there is articles done by Baltimore Ravens beat writers stating Pendleton did sign with Ravens and got hurt in pre season camp (I’ll prove later you don’t know what your taking about). Fo do know West went 3-7 the year before with basically the same team and turned it around to 9-1. By no means do I believe it was all Pendleton but I guarantee you he had something to do with it. Also, pee wee, junior high doesn’t correlate to High School. If that was the case Coal Grove would be the best program in Southern Ohio every year. I think your just a little jealous of the guy myself. I will say this with 100% certainty as I’m from Ironton and talking to the people that hired him and is around him at the School every day couldn’t be more excited about the hire and said look out cause this guy is going to do great things here. I think your going to be surprised in the very near future with our program.

I hate disrupt your man crush but there are some things you need to consider.

1. He has Zero head coaching credentials.
2. He was Ironton's third choice. Hard to say that everyone was on board.

Having said that, everything I have heard about him has been positive. Even that doesn't make him an instant success. I think in season three will most people know how Ironton will be.
woby if what I'm hearing about this staff that is being put together. I doubt it matter lil that he has never been a head coach. the people that want to surround themselves around him are people that are entirely people that can put ironton back on the football map in a hurry. like you everything I have heard has been positive as well. that's ironton's fault it took so long. and even after they botched it. trevon was still the man that GOD put there, not the boe or ad. the names on this proposed staff will blow some people away. and I can grant you one thing. DISCIPLINE WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM, OR LACK OF HARD WORK. IRONTON FOOTBALL WILL BE BACK IN THE BUSINESS OF TURNING ''BOYS INTO MEN''.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

TOUGH wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:52 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:32 pm [quote=TOUGH post_id=<a href="tel:1663708">1663708</a> time=<a href="tel:1525389854">1525389854</a> user_id=13571]
[quote=Jeep/pirate post_id=<a href="tel:1663705">1663705</a> time=<a href="tel:1525387910">1525387910</a> user_id=13900]
If you dig deep in previous forums I was the first to mention him as a candidate for this job. I’m just super curious of how big a mess ironton really is? I always thought of them as a Tri state power house when it comes to football and you need some special credentials to land a job like that. I read the write up in the paper and couldn’t believe the article was so inaccurate. Let’s start by saying by no means did he ever have a “ brief stint” with the Baltimore ravens. Secondly the West program has a junior senior to be class that has dominated the local youth football area since they were pee wee. By no means did he turn that program around or have anything to do with it. When that class came to high school they turned it around. Do you know him and his brother never held a actual coaching title last year? Complete conspiracy. They were helpers, I have two nephews still on the team, neither Pendleton attended every practice on a regular. He was a very successful football player and so was his brother, but I’m badazalled on how these write ups were published without some proof. I wish ironton all the luck with their new head coach because one thing I know he will bring is energy and hard work but idk about bringing a offense and a defensive game that is any better than they had. IMO ironton better hope he has some help on the way with him. Not players I mean coaching.

I hate disrupt your man crush but there are some things you need to consider.

1. He has Zero head coaching credentials.
2. He was Ironton's third choice. Hard to say that everyone was on board.

Having said that, everything I have heard about him has been positive. Even that doesn't make him an instant success. I think in season three will most people know how Ironton will be.
[/quote]

Rob woodward had zero head coaching credentials when he was hired.
Johnson at West was a first time head coach.

Give me a break guys, you do realize at one time Urban Meyer and Nick Saban were also first time head coaches. The guy will be fine. The only reason he wasn’t the top choice is HC experience. That came right out of the mouth of the man recommending to the board. He blew them away on the interview or they wouldn’t even had gave him a thought. His credentials is also the reason he got an interview when 30 other guys didn’t, many with head coaching experience. That’s alright though. I’d keep underestimating the guy too. From reading the articles that doesn’t sound like a wise thing to do.

Bob Lutz wasn’t the first choice when he got hired either and we all know how that turned out.
[/quote]

GREAT POST, BOB LUTZ WAS LIKE 22 THE 1ST HEAD COACHING JOB HE TOOK.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

When was Bob Lutz Hired?
What was his first year's record?
What was the population of Ironton when he was hired?
How long was it before he went to state championship game?

Other than age, right now that's all that the two have in common. He may turn out to be a great hire but some think they have returned to their glory days.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I THINK PEOPLE ARE REALIZING AND ANTICIPATING THAT. 1 - IF YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR SHOTS IN ON IRONTON BEFORE, IT LIKELY HAIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. THE VOICES FROM THE FELLERS FROM FOOTBALL CENTRAL IN SOWDY COUNTY IN THE BIG PIRATE SHIP ARE FADIN AWAY. I THINK, NO I KNOW THEY ARE EXCITED ABOUT THIS HIRE. BECAUSE THEY KNOW IT'S GONNA BE A MARQEE MATCHUP AGAIN. AND SOON, VERY SOON I THINK THIS IS GOING TO HAVE GAME OF THE WEEK N SEASON WRITTEN ALL OVER IT AGAIN. THAT HAS TO EXCITE TIGERS AND PIRATES ALL ALIKE. I THINK THE ENTIRE OVC FEELS IT AS WELL. AND WITH THE EMERGENCE OF SEVERAL TEAMS ON THE RISE IN THE OVC, MAINLY ROCK HILL, FAIRLAND, GAHS, COAL GROVE AND PORTSMOUTH HAS A NEW COACH. THIS MAY JUST GET TO BE ONE OF THE MOST ROCKEM, SOCKEM LEAGUES AROUND. CHESAPEAKE AND SOUTH POINT HAVE HAD SOME LEAN YEARS. BUT APPEAR TO BE CORRECTING PROBLEMS. SOUTH POINT HIRED A WILDLY SUCCESSFUL PORTSMOUTH EAST COACH TO LEAD THE POINTERS. SO THE SANDS MAY BE SHIFTING.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

wobycat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:13 am When was Bob Lutz Hired?
What was his first year's record?
What was the population of Ironton when he was hired?
How long was it before he went to state championship game?

Other than age, right now that's all that the two have in common. He may turn out to be a great hire but some think they have returned to their glory days.
his first hire was oak hill I think woby. no idea of record. after that he went to st. joe. and he was winning ovc titles with like 40 kids in the entire school. no idea population wise in 72. but much bigger then. with all the plants, mills, railroads humming. and I can't remember if it was 72.73 they were in their first state title game. i'll have to see if that was coach bruney or coach lutz.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

woby coach lutz started in 72 at ironton. in 73 they were in their 1st state championship game. the 2nd year of the ohio high school football playoffs and lost to Cleveland Benedictine. so I'd say that's about as quick as a turn around that one can even fathom. ------------------------------ but again, this topic is about trevon Pendleton. I tried my best to answer the questions. there will be others that can elaborate on the other questions that I don't know the answer to.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I'm confused. Was Lutz 22 years old when he started coaching for Ironton?

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Jeep/pirate wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:00 am

I’m not wasting my time clicking your links because I already know everything about the man. I know the family , and I’ve got nephews on the current team who’ve given me information. That being said I’ve stated before I was the first to mention him as a candidate. I believe he will bring hard work and energy, do I think those credentials are total BS yes I do. Nothing will change that because I know 100% that most of the write up is false. People are invited to pro camps all the time. They do need bodies to fill positions to get looks for players they are actually interested in. Once again, in 2017 he was not a coaching staff member by hire. He was a helping assistant who could come and go as he pleased. How good you are at sports is never a determination of your coaching ability. You think Bill from the pats was some superstar? I hope you guys the best. This is a forum to discuss things and I was just bringing to the attention that you ironton folks have been completely mislead on this mans credentials. Could be a home run hire, could be a complete shi* fest year one. We shall see.

I do know he did sign a free agent contract with the Ravens I also know for a fact Pendleton and his brother was assistant coaches last year. I enjoy reading your stuff like you know him on a personal level but don’t have the facts that back it up. And your nephews will prolly tell you just like every other West sider I’ve spoke too the Pendleton’s came in and completely changed the culture and just about everyone of them credit a lot of the recent success to those him.
Last edited by TOUGH on Fri May 04, 2018 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Back on topic, the guy is going to do a great job. May not happen overnight but eventually Ironton will be back.

TCat
Riding the Bench

Post by TCat »

This is all so comical.
TOUGH tried to pin his identity on another guy, but it's obvious that he is either Pendelton or his brother. Which in itself is totally unprofessional.

Playing football at any level doesn't make you a coach. Playing for a great coach doesn't make you a coach. Pendelton was an excellent player and I'm sure he is highly motivated and knows the game. But he has never been more than a position coach before for 1 season at a small high school. He has never had to be responsible for anything outside of himself. He's never had to deal with administration, Mommies, Daddies, or adversity when your the one people come to for answers. That's when you'll see if the guy can coach.

And he was the 4th choice for the job. So Ironton did settle for him after other candidates turned them down.

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

TOUGH wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:49 am
Jeep/pirate wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:00 am

I don’t think you know the family like you think you do. I do know he did sign a free agent contract with the Ravens. I remember the family having a party for the signing. I also know for a fact after speaking to a guy on the staff that Pendleton was and his brother was a paid assistant last year and that the school board added two coaches to the football staff just so they could have those two down there. I enjoy reading your stuff like you know him on a personal level but don’t have the facts that back it up. And your nephews will prolly tell you just like every other West sider, the Pendleton’s came in and completely changed the culture and just about everyone of them credit a lot of the recent success to those them. I also know Pendleton’s brother coached a year in college then been at West for last 4-5 years. I was on the staff there for awhile and know he coached then cause Coach T hired him. There’s some truth. May want to check your sources a little closer.
Thanks for your post Game Day/Tough! I love to deal with facts! Unfortunately you enjoy posting lies about kids.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

wobycat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 am I'm confused. Was Lutz 22 years old when he started coaching for Ironton?
no oak hill. I don't know his exact age. but he had to be right in that age group. he coached at oak hill n st. joe before ironton.

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

TCat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am This is all so comical.
TOUGH tried to pin his identity on another guy, but it's obvious that he is either Pendelton or his brother. Which in itself is totally unprofessional.

Playing football at any level doesn't make you a coach. Playing for a great coach doesn't make you a coach. Pendelton was an excellent player and I'm sure he is highly motivated and knows the game. But he has never been more than a position coach before for 1 season at a small high school. He has never had to be responsible for anything outside of himself. He's never had to deal with administration, Mommies, Daddies, or adversity when your the one people come to for answers. That's when you'll see if the guy can coach.

And he was the 4th choice for the job. So Ironton did settle for him after other candidates turned them down.
Tough is neither of those men. He is Game Day and he was a coach at Ironton at one time for a year. He is certifiable. I pray that he is not part of the staff that will be hired. If he is I know several kids that will not be playing football. Someone said who it was, but since then I believe he had the post taken down. I will say this I’ve been told that the weight room is full of energy and the kids that have always worked hard are loving it. Hoping this new coach isn’t a fooled by this fool and stays far away from him! He’s done nothing, but ridicule Ironton for years because he was let go. Don’t need fans or coaches like that! Which if you have noticed, we ain’t heard a peep out of Game Day for some time now!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

So here are the facts.

Positives:
1. Really good football player. You catch a TD in the Rose Bowl, it's evident you can play at a high level.
2. Highly motivated, hard worker. He was a walk-on turned starter at Michigan State, coming back from a bad leg break in high school. That's motivation.
3. Players seem to be excited about hire.
4. Understands the game of football as far as x and o's

Negatives:
1. Zero coaching experience other than his position coach at West last year.
2. Does not teach or reside in Ironton.
3. Very young
4. Has not implemented one game plan.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

One more thing, assistant coaches are very valuable if not as valuable as the head coach. In my opinion, Burg is the standard in that department.

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

wobycat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am One more thing, assistant coaches are very valuable if not as valuable as the head coach. In my opinion, Burg is the standard in that department.
Absolutely agree! So the head coach needs to surround himself with strong, motivated and knowledgeable people! Not men who get on a sports thread and bash every Tom, Dick and Harry and then expect young boy/men to respect that kind of person. It won’t happen, because if he’s that kind of person behind a screen, it will come out on the field. You can’t hide that kind of crazy!

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

I do have one question .. if Pendleton is the next greatest thing why didn’t west try and keep him ?

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Lutz was 25/26 when he was hired at ISJ.
His Flyers were predicted to finish ahead of only Symmes Valley in the OVC. ISJ and Lutz proved everyone wrong winning the OVC championship
Sometimes the right coach can make a huge difference simply with discipline and hard work

Return to “Football”