4/6 Minford 6 Athens 5 Final 11 innings

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: 4/6 Minford 6 Athens 5 Final 11 innings

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens still had the best baseball player on the field Nate Trainer to pitch. Minford pitched three(Launder, Rowe, and Shultz) pitchers
Last edited by Raider6309 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinfordFalcons
Riding the Bench

Post by MinfordFalcons »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:39 pm Athens still had the best baseball player on the field Nate Trainer to pitch. Minford pitch three pitchers and its ace
👍

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Re: 4/6 Minford (8-0) vs Athens (6-1) Doubleheader

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:30 pm
MinfordFalcons wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:15 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:12 pm Both teams agreed to not play the second game due to neither team having much pitching left. No surprise the game goes extra innings.
Wrong, we had one of our (2) #1 going. They were the ones that didn’t wanna play.
Yeah, from what I was told by parents who were at the game, not only did they not play the 2nd - they may never schedule minford again.
I was at the game and also great game to watch emotional moments but Athens isn’t innocent with everything that happened. A lot of errors for both teams and I think the main reason for a lot of the things that transpired has to do with the UMP behind the plate he was terrible for both teams way to many indecisive calls and tried to inject himself in the game to much.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Still a great game. Both should make their usual deep playoff runs

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Good win Minford. Sounds like it was a darn good one. Wish I could have seen it. Too bad they couldn't play game 2.

Fly High Falcon27
Waterboy

Post by Fly High Falcon27 »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:39 pm Athens still had the best baseball player on the field Nate Trainer to pitch. Minford pitched three(Launder, Rowe, and Shultz) pitchers
Would’ve just needed 2 pitchers if there wasn’t a “biting” incident😉

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I’m going to take a wild guess Mike Tyson is Minford’s favorite athlete :lol:

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:11 pm I’m going to take a wild guess Mike Tyson is Minford’s favorite athlete :lol:
Haha that’s pretty funny

mcbball
Waterboy

Re: 4/6 Minford (8-0) vs Athens (6-1) Doubleheader

Post by mcbball »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:30 pm
MinfordFalcons wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:15 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:12 pm Both teams agreed to not play the second game due to neither team having much pitching left. No surprise the game goes extra innings.
Wrong, we had one of our (2) #1 going. They were the ones that didn’t wanna play.
Yeah, from what I was told by parents who were at the game, not only did they not play the 2nd - they may never schedule minford again.
Why would Athens not schedule Minford again?

Fly High Falcon27
Waterboy

Post by Fly High Falcon27 »

Athens was scared to play minford

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Fly High Falcon27 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:10 pm Athens was scared to play minford
Actually footage of the ending moments of Game 1

OHPrepFB
Waterboy

Post by OHPrepFB »

Fly High Falcon27 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:10 pm Athens was scared to play minford
I believe if you look at the stats, Athens out hit Minford 11 to 7, so I'm not sure why they would be scared to play them. It was self-inflicted wounds that hurt Athens . . . errors and leaving runners stranded. Five of Minford's six runs were unearned. Also, maybe since their catcher was ejected several outs after an incident at the plate (which is mind boggling . . . that's like giving a player a technical in basektball after they've ran up and down the court 6 times following a brush with another player) and one of their outfielders sprained an ankle and was out of the game leaving them with two traditionally non-starters to start the second game and with only one bench player.

More importantly, why would you want to subject yourself to more officiating like they experienced in the first game?

The home plate umpire admitted that the "winning" runner did not touch the plate. His rationale for why it didn't matter was total misapplied. He used a between inning subsection (2) instead of subsection (4). And even if he wanted to falsely stick with (2), it clearly states before the pitcher and all infielders have left fair territory. But I think (4) certainly applied here . . . especially since it was close to 30 minutes before they left the field.

PENALTY (ART. 8-1-5): For failure to touch a base (advancing and returning), or failure to tag up as soon as the ball is touched on a caught fly ball, the runner may be called out if an appeal is made by the defensive team. The defense may appeal during a live ball immediately following the play and before a pitch (legal or illegal), granting an intentional base on balls, or before the next play or attempted play. If the offensive team initiates a play before the next pitch, the defensive team does not lose the right to appeal. A live-ball appeal may be made by a defensive player with the ball in his possession by tagging the runner or touching the base that was missed or left too early. A dead-ball appeal may be made by a coach or any defensive player with or without the ball by verbally stating that the runner missed the base or left the base too early. Appeals must be made (1) before the next legal or illegal pitch; (2) at the end of an inning, before the pitcher and all infielders have left fair territory; (3) before an intentional base on balls is granted; or (4) on the last play of the game, an appeal can be made until the umpires leave the field of play. NOTE: When a play by its very nature is imminent and is obvious to the offense, defense and umpire(s), no verbal appeal is necessary, e.g. runner attempting to retouch a base that was missed, or a failure to tag up and a throw has been made to that base or plate while a play is in progress.

8-2-5 If a runner who misses any base (including home plate) or leaves a base too early, desires to return to touch the base, he must do so immediately. If the ball becomes dead and the runner is on or beyond a succeeding base, he cannot return to the missed base and, therefore, is subject to being declared out upon proper and successful appeal.

It would have been difficult for him to get out from under the dog pile to touch home plate.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

OHPrepFB wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 am
I believe if you look at the stats, Athens out hit Minford 11 to 7, so I'm not sure why they would be scared to play them. It was self-inflicted wounds that hurt Athens . . . errors and leaving runners stranded. Five of Minford's six runs were unearned. Also, maybe since their catcher was ejected several outs after an incident at the plate (which is mind boggling . . . that's like giving a player a technical in basektball after they've ran up and down the court 6 times following a brush with another player) and one of their outfielders sprained an ankle and was out of the game leaving them with two traditionally non-starters to start the second game and with only one bench player.

More importantly, why would you want to subject yourself to more officiating like they experienced in the first game?

The home plate umpire admitted that the "winning" runner did not touch the plate. His rationale for why it didn't matter was total misapplied. He used a between inning subsection (2) instead of subsection (4). And even if he wanted to falsely stick with (2), it clearly states before the pitcher and all infielders have left fair territory. But I think (4) certainly applied here . . . especially since it was close to 30 minutes before they left the field.

PENALTY (ART. 8-1-5): For failure to touch a base (advancing and returning), or failure to tag up as soon as the ball is touched on a caught fly ball, the runner may be called out if an appeal is made by the defensive team. The defense may appeal during a live ball immediately following the play and before a pitch (legal or illegal), granting an intentional base on balls, or before the next play or attempted play. If the offensive team initiates a play before the next pitch, the defensive team does not lose the right to appeal. A live-ball appeal may be made by a defensive player with the ball in his possession by tagging the runner or touching the base that was missed or left too early. A dead-ball appeal may be made by a coach or any defensive player with or without the ball by verbally stating that the runner missed the base or left the base too early. Appeals must be made (1) before the next legal or illegal pitch; (2) at the end of an inning, before the pitcher and all infielders have left fair territory; (3) before an intentional base on balls is granted; or (4) on the last play of the game, an appeal can be made until the umpires leave the field of play. NOTE: When a play by its very nature is imminent and is obvious to the offense, defense and umpire(s), no verbal appeal is necessary, e.g. runner attempting to retouch a base that was missed, or a failure to tag up and a throw has been made to that base or plate while a play is in progress.

8-2-5 If a runner who misses any base (including home plate) or leaves a base too early, desires to return to touch the base, he must do so immediately. If the ball becomes dead and the runner is on or beyond a succeeding base, he cannot return to the missed base and, therefore, is subject to being declared out upon proper and successful appeal.

It would have been difficult for him to get out from under the dog pile to touch home plate.
Being that I wasn't at the game, and have no idea about what happened during the game or the conclusion of the game, I'm having trouble grasping why if there was an incident at the plate, and it called for an ejection of the catcher, why did it not happen right after the play ? If it happened that way, it seems to me that the home plate umpire, should have, (Not could have) made the call right then. I guess possibly the catcher may have been complaining to the Umpire after the incident that happened earlier. I just can't see an umpire being able to make a call such as this, unless it was done before the next pitch, let alone later on.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

The umpire at this game I am told is the guru and dean of Southern Ohio umpires. Had the State last year, and is as good as there is. I just still cannot get over how people want to keep blaming officials. Athens is the worst too, name the sport!!! If Athens could have not stranded so many runners or not given up so many unearned runs than nothing else would have mattered. instead, we need to bitch about the best umpire around.

BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

I was not at the game but find this interesting. Last year when Wheelersburg played at Minford, the home plate umpire said a Burg player who hit a 3 run home run out of the park onto the trees did not touch home plate. Nobody witnessed it (fans, either team, etc.) because the batter was surrounded by his teammates greeting him at home plate, but after the batter went into the dugout, the umpire stared into the Minford dugout for a few seconds and then the coach came out and questioned it, and he called him out. I had never witnessed anything like it. The Minford Catcher didn't even see it in this game last year because he was out talking to the pitcher. Does anyone know if this is the same umpire in both instances??? Will this same notorious guy be umpiring the Minford Wheelersburg game tomorrow at home plate??? How many times has this guy done this???

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I see the rule cited but can someone in layman's terms explained what happened at home plate and what the reference to Mike Tyson is all about. Sorry to be dense but not following.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:39 pm I see the rule cited but can someone in layman's terms explained what happened at home plate and what the reference to Mike Tyson is all about. Sorry to be dense but not following.
I agree! I don't even know where the game was played. I'm not questioning the umpires, I'm just saying that once the play is over, and the game resumes, you can't go back and change the call even if it was the wrong call. If you can, then I'm wrong, and I need to freshen up on the rules.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Can someone just explain what happened and can it with the passive aggressive crap?

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

What stinks is the fact Athens and Minford played a great game Saturday...
The game did indeed have some moments.

In the Bottom of the 7th, Minford tried to win the Game by tagging up from 3rd on a fly ball to Centerfield. The Athens CF threw a frozen rope to the plate preventing the winning run and forcing extra innings...

As the Athens catcher attempted to stand up and show the ball to the Umpire a Minford player pulled him down to the ground. In the shuffle at home plate, the Athens catcher was bit on the forearm. Both teams met at Home plate as the Coaches and Umpires tried to put out the fire.

I have seen posters on here from Minford complaining and blaming the Umpire for the reason this game got out of hand. This is completely false, and both teams can thank the Umpire for not ejecting multiple players during the play as he was well within the rulebook, and just needed to collect his initial thoughts.

The Minford player was ejected for his part in starting the shuffle...

Athens was hitting in the Top of the 8th, and had 2 outs...at this point the Umpire went to the Athens coach and informed him that his catcher would too be ejected for the play at the plate. This was an error in applying the rule by the Umpire, but by all intentions was the right call. The Minford player was ejected for contact with another player outside the realm of normal play, and the Athens catcher was ejected (although late) for intent, by pushing his teammate aside and going after an opponent without making contact.

The dust finally settled, and in the 11th Athens came up short with the bases loaded and their #4 hitter sending a shot just short of the red wall in Right Center...

The problem with the way the game ended was that the Minford winning runner never touched the plate, the Umpire saw and so did the Athens players...the Umpire used an incorrect rule (by my understanding) in stating that Athens could not appeal because a player had left the field...

There was no way the Umpire was overturning that call and leaving the field without problems...

Good Baseball, Bad Finish...

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

questionmark wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:12 pm What stinks is the fact Athens and Minford played a great game Saturday...
The game did indeed have some moments.

In the Bottom of the 7th, Minford tried to win the Game by tagging up from 3rd on a fly ball to Centerfield. The Athens CF threw a frozen rope to the plate preventing the winning run and forcing extra innings...

As the Athens catcher attempted to stand up and show the ball to the Umpire a Minford player pulled him down to the ground. In the shuffle at home plate, the Athens catcher was bit on the forearm. Both teams met at Home plate as the Coaches and Umpires tried to put out the fire.

I have seen posters on here from Minford complaining and blaming the Umpire for the reason this game got out of hand. This is completely false, and both teams can thank the Umpire for not ejecting multiple players during the play as he was well within the rulebook, and just needed to collect his initial thoughts.

The Minford player was ejected for his part in starting the shuffle...

Athens was hitting in the Top of the 8th, and had 2 outs...at this point the Umpire went to the Athens coach and informed him that his catcher would too be ejected for the play at the plate. This was an error in applying the rule by the Umpire, but by all intentions was the right call. The Minford player was ejected for contact with another player outside the realm of normal play, and the Athens catcher was ejected (although late) for intent, by pushing his teammate aside and going after an opponent without making contact.

The dust finally settled, and in the 11th Athens came up short with the bases loaded and their #4 hitter sending a shot just short of the red wall in Right Center...

The problem with the way the game ended was that the Minford winning runner never touched the plate, the Umpire saw and so did the Athens players...the Umpire used an incorrect rule (by my understanding) in stating that Athens could not appeal because a player had left the field...

There was no way the Umpire was overturning that call and leaving the field without problems...

Good Baseball, Bad Finish...
Thank you, lol, geez I couldn't figure out what everyone was talking about. Now the Tyson reference makes sense.

Return to “Baseball”