Waverly @ Wheelersburg 1/7

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Waverly @ Wheelersburg 1/7

Post by wobycat »

BBALL99 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:06 am
wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29 am The kids for burg have increased their jawing since ater got there. I agree with laser that all kids run their mouth but burg kids are getting the technicals which probably means they are making it more aware to the officials.

All kids and teams do not run their mouths. I have been to far more games this year where the players do not say a word to the other team.

Time to quit making excuses and lumping everyone together. An easy way to stop players from doing it is to have some consequences.
It was a generalization. Come on. Almost every team probably has a kid that trash talks. I don’t think anyone has said it was ok anyway.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:47 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29 am The kids for burg have increased their jawing since ater got there. I agree with laser that all kids run their mouth but burg kids are getting the technicals which probably means they are making it more aware to the officials.

All kids and teams do not run their mouths. I have been to far more games this year where the players do not say a word to the other team.

Time to quit making excuses and lumping everyone together. An easy way to stop players from doing it is to have some consequences.
It was a generalization. Come on. Almost every team probably has a kid that trash talks. I don’t think anyone has said it was ok anyway.
Every team SHOULD have at least one trash talker. Amirite?

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

6051 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 am I was at this game. I’m sure the jawing going on was from both sides. All of this comes from the top down. From parents, Athletic Director, Principals and Coaches someone had to hear what the student section was screaming at the Waverly kids. It went on all night and not one word was said. I heard one kid scream at one of the Waverly Players “F*ck You, get out of here. I heard at another time one of the kids yell at the ref that was 5-6ft away “F*ck you, you suck!” , over and over taunting the ref. I’ve been many times down to this gym and it’s the same situation most times. Is that ok? Others from Wheelersburg had to have heard this. It was so bad I had thoughts of going to try to find the athletic director or Principal or someone and wish I would have. I’m in no way saying the Waverly kids are perfect, but be careful how you point the finger when you let this be the atmosphere of the gym. It all needs cleaned up and have some good competition without all the crap.
I won’t argue about what you said but I’ve read plenty of times on here where it’s happened at other gyms and other teams playing each other. I was in dollar general the other day listening to two people talk about how bad the refs were and how much this kid was talking in this other kids face and they didn’t do anything about it at the green game. But it’s heightened to the nth degree when one of burgs kids do it.

recognizing the fact that all teams don’t do it all the time or do it less doesn’t make them better for some reason. Also I’ve heard parents act just like those kids in the cheer block from opposing teams.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

mlittle wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm

No. Personally I can’t stand it. Although I believe that some teams do. I don’t think ater controls it whereas some coaches do.

Cav's Alum
Waterboy

Post by Cav's Alum »

laser breath wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm
6051 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 am I was at this game. I’m sure the jawing going on was from both sides. All of this comes from the top down. From parents, Athletic Director, Principals and Coaches someone had to hear what the student section was screaming at the Waverly kids. It went on all night and not one word was said. I heard one kid scream at one of the Waverly Players “F*ck You, get out of here. I heard at another time one of the kids yell at the ref that was 5-6ft away “F*ck you, you suck!” , over and over taunting the ref. I’ve been many times down to this gym and it’s the same situation most times. Is that ok? Others from Wheelersburg had to have heard this. It was so bad I had thoughts of going to try to find the athletic director or Principal or someone and wish I would have. I’m in no way saying the Waverly kids are perfect, but be careful how you point the finger when you let this be the atmosphere of the gym. It all needs cleaned up and have some good competition without all the crap.
I won’t argue about what you said but I’ve read plenty of times on here where it’s happened at other gyms and other teams playing each other. I was in dollar general the other day listening to two people talk about how bad the refs were and how much this kid was talking in this other kids face and they didn’t do anything about it at the green game. But it’s heightened to the nth degree when one of burgs kids do it.

recognizing the fact that all teams don’t do it all the time or do it less doesn’t make them better for some reason. Also I’ve heard parents act just like those kids in the cheer block from opposing teams.
bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:13 pm
VetteMan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:32 pm
Basketball:30 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:28 am Is there any team in the SE District that has more player technical fouls than Burg the past 4-5 years?
I think that I know a few Coaches that if one of there players gets a Technical Foul called on them for whatever reason, whether it be saying something to an official, or even in the heat of the battle and losing there cool, the first thing that player would see is the end of the bench. There have been Technical Fouls called for probably as long as Basketball has been played, maybe the Rules need to be changed ? I bet you that if the Head Coach, and the said player knew that a Technical Foul being called meant that you would miss the rest of the game, as well as part of the next game, you can bet your last dollar that very few Technical Fouls would be called. This is not just meant for the Burg, as it seems as if it's happening even more often than ever. Every Head Coach has a responsibility to be in control of his own players, when that Head Coach just looks the other way, what do you think his own players are going to do when they know that there will be no repercussion's ?
Good post that should apply to all schools. Wish there was a more uniform rule from coaches across the board dealing with technicals. Some coaches punish kids with playing time, some make them run at practice, some do nothing at all. It’s definitely much different from coach to coach all through SEO.
The OHSAA rule states that a player is ejected for a second technical foul in the same game. When that player is ejected he/she forfeits the right to participate in the remainder of the current game and the next two games. This happened recently to a player for Unioto.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

They need to T up Mullet Man ™️ for distracting all the women in the crowd.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:57 pm
mlittle wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm

No. Personally I can’t stand it. Although I believe that some teams do. I don’t think ater controls it whereas some coaches do.
Your last sentence says all that needs to be said, the Head Coach should be in control of his own team, and therefore should have stopped it long ago. Of course there are other teams and players that are doing it also, but I can promise you that there are a lot more Coaches that "Do Not" allow it than ones who do. You even have your own Burg fans speaking up and saying they don't like it, how much longer is it going to be allowed to happen ?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:16 pm They need to T up Mullet Man ™️ for distracting all the women in the crowd.
Mullet Man is a great kid, had the privilege of coaching him in summer baseball this year. His mullet is pretty awesome!

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:33 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:16 pm They need to T up Mullet Man ™️ for distracting all the women in the crowd.
Mullet Man is a great kid, had the privilege of coaching him in summer baseball this year. His mullet is pretty awesome!
I like a little trash talk. And mullet man is a great nick name! Swankier is talking about truitt but he said he got technicals in junior high so probably a south Webster thing burg can’t get out of him. Lol

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I’m calling BS on the kid yelling F*uck at the ref and he not asking the kid to be removed.

I also noticed AD Shaw up in the stands talking to a woman from Waverly. Not sure what that was about but you could tell that the lady was not happy that he was up there so something must have been said to warrant that.

Al this BS about Burg having the only kids that trash talk is like I said, BS. I will give you that Burg does have some players that can’t seem to keep their mouths shut and I’m pretty sure most Burg fans are getting sick of it and it needs stopped by the parents, coaches or administration!! It is embarrassing sometimes, but just about every team I’ve watched a Burg play over the years has a few trash talkers too, especially when they are beating a Burg team.

The only players I didn’t see running their mouths were McCorkle and Swords for Burg and Robertson for Waverly. Those players pretty much let there play on the court do the talking for them. Just about all of the other players that played in that game were jawing the majority of the game. I never once saw the refs get the HC’s together and tell them it needs to stop now or action will be taken. One ref was blatantly staring down players and that is uncalled for.

Bottom line is that trash talking has become the new norm in sports these days because that is what these kids see in almost every sport on TV. The coach has to get ahold of that and make it stop. That was the beauty of Coach Barrick. You did not see any trash talking coming out of his players.

Waterboy

Post by 6051 »

Call BS all you want. I wish I was making this up. You couldn’t have been at this game or you were ignoring it!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

laser breath wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:44 pm
I like a little trash talk. And mullet man is a great nick name! Swankier is talking about truitt but he said he got technicals in junior high so probably a south Webster thing burg can’t get out of him. Lol
Please. Holden and Truitt had more techs this and last season than I’ve seen Webster get in my whole basketball/managing/score boarding life 😂

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

It takes a special breed to pull it off. Mullet Man ™️ Probably drives an IROC z28 and blasts Molly Hatchet in the parking lot after school.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:46 pm

Bottom line is that trash talking has become the new norm in sports these days because that is what these kids see in almost every sport on TV. The coach has to get ahold of that and make it stop. That was the beauty of Coach Barrick. You did not see any trash talking coming out of his players.
Agree on Barrick. He didn't allow it at Wheelersburg, he didn't allow it at Eastern Pike, and I'm betting he isn't allowing his kids to do it at Russell.

A great coach and man.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I not sure why non-Burg fans worried about them getting technicals and running their mouths. As others have said, it goes on everywhere, but it up to the head coach to shut it down. Ater doesn't seem too concerned about it, so not sure why it a huge discussion on here. Burg fans seem to be split on it, but Ater's opinion really the only one that matters. I from the school of thought that you gotta have a kid or two that's willing to talk back or else you come off as chumps to the other team (unless you truly are good enough to let the scoreboard talk for you). Repeated technicals would be where I'd draw the line, but that's just me.*

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

6051 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:55 pm Call BS all you want. I wish I was making this up. You couldn’t have been at this game or you were ignoring it!

I was sitting to the right of the student section and no I did not hear it. Now being at an angle I couldn’t see the mouths of the students straight on. Were you near the student section??

I know for sure two of those three refs would not have let that kid stay or at least let the sheriff or AD know what was said.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Wasn’t going to comment on this topic but it’s already full Jerry Springer so what the heck. I never noticed much trash talk from Wheelersburg when they played Jackson. Couldnt hear what was being said if anything but the body language wasn’t bad. I will say watching Jackson I don’t see a lot of bad attitudes, just a lot of hard play. Kudos to coach Morrow for that , if that’s even true . Just an observation. I don’t think trash talk is needed to be intense. I don’t think that means a player has “heart” or “grit” to me it just shows a weakness in the players game that game be exploited. I would say a team/player that plays the game hard and the right way but also can’t be rattled is more impressive than a chest thumper who gets his team the T when things gets tight.

A lively student section is great for sports and fun for the kids. Gives them a way to kind of be part of the game . They can be fun and creative and great for school
Spirit , much worse things kids could be doing. Intense is good , bad language isn’t acceptable from anyone especially high school student / players.

I asked my son after their playoff loss in football If the other team was trash talking , he said they never said a word . Figured as much , just executed every play , lined up and did it again.

Just my 2 cents .

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Poo Bear wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:55 pm Wasn’t going to comment on this topic but it’s already full Jerry Springer so what the heck. I never noticed much trash talk from Wheelersburg when they played Jackson. Couldnt hear what was being said if anything but the body language wasn’t bad. I will say watching Jackson I don’t see a lot of bad attitudes, just a lot of hard play. Kudos to coach Morrow for that , if that’s even true . Just an observation. I don’t think trash talk is needed to be intense. I don’t think that means a player has “heart” or “grit” to me it just shows a weakness in the players game that game be exploited. I would say a team/player that plays the game hard and the right way but also can’t be rattled is more impressive than a chest thumper who gets his team the T when things gets tight.

A lively student section is great for sports and fun for the kids. Gives them a way to kind of be part of the game . They can be fun and creative and great for school
Spirit , much worse things kids could be doing. Intense is good , bad language isn’t acceptable from anyone especially high school student / players.

I asked my son after their playoff loss in football If the other team was trash talking , he said they never said a word . Figured as much , just executed every play , lined up and did it again.

Just my 2 cents .
👏👏👏 really nice post.

Waterboy

Post by 6051 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:35 pm
6051 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:55 pm Call BS all you want. I wish I was making this up. You couldn’t have been at this game or you were ignoring it!

I was sitting to the right of the student section and no I did not hear it. Now being at an angle I couldn’t see the mouths of the students straight on. Were you near the student section??

I know for sure two of those three refs would not have let that kid stay or at least let the sheriff or AD know what was said.

I was standing right there taking pictures. I finally couldn’t stand to listen to it anymore so I moved. I was maybe as close as 10 ft at times. It’s like that every time I can remember going down there fora game.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

It’s embarrassing
Your embarrassing yourself, your family, your community and your school.
Cut out all the bullsh$t and play basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”