Some histories updated

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Re: Some histories updated

Post by Football Historian »

I want to go there if I don't have to wear a spacesuit. I would wear a spacesuit if I went to space camp!

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Omega wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:27 am
Football Historian wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:26 am
Omega wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:51 am

Even with internet resources, I cannot imagine your time traveling and time spent in libraries scrolling through fiche and old books. Research done the old way. Are you based out of Huntington or elsewhere in WV?
Bluefield, WV. But I have friends in low places!
Over the years I spent a few Friday nights in Mitchell Stadium watching the Beavers thrash the East Spartans.
I have many Bluefield game films on my site. I have the 1984 game at East. Bimbo Coles was the QB for East. My brother played for Bluefield that season. They won the AAA championship that year.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

River Valley added.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Added South Gallia

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Added Wellston. I am confident that all games are accounted for back thru 1922 except for one game in 1991. 1991 is the year Wellston did not play a league schedule. My information shows they played nine games but I can only account for eight. 1921 and earlier is hit and miss based on research that I have done for other schools. If by some long shot you have a Wellston yearbook or football information for 1922 or earlier please contact me.

Most of this information from 1925 thru 1981 came from Spencer Waugh although a lot of it I duplicated and double checked.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Football Historian wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:48 am Added Wellston. I am confident that all games are accounted for back thru 1922 except for one game in 1991. 1991 is the year Wellston did not play a league schedule. My information shows they played nine games but I can only account for eight. 1921 and earlier is hit and miss based on research that I have done for other schools. If by some long shot you have a Wellston yearbook or football information for 1922 or earlier please contact me.

Most of this information from 1925 thru 1981 came from Spencer Waugh although a lot of it I duplicated and double checked.
Randy Heath is the authoritative historian for Jackson County (and SE District sports).

He has so much information he has a hard time finding all of his files. But he would definitely have all of Wellston's info prior to 1922.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

How does one contact him outside of his political activities?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Football Historian wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:38 am How does one contact him outside of his political activities?
I'll shoot you an email.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Added Vinton County

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I clicked on it and it said the account has been suspended

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:06 pm I clicked on it and it said the account has been suspended
Football Historian -

yappadabbadoo is the authoritative source for all things Vinton County football.

He also is owed an assist for my SEOAL research - he had an excellent start that I used as a foundation to complete histories for all the SEOAL teams. He's the man.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Amazing. Great job!

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:06 pm I clicked on it and it said the account has been suspended
I think all is well now. Only thing that I think is missing is a handful of home / away data for the season 1987-1999. I honestly believe I was able to find every score. But if someone sees something that they believe is incorrect please use the "contact me" button and send me a message explaining what you believe to be incorrect or missing.

RHRedmenLive
Freshman Team

Post by RHRedmenLive »

This is fantastic!! We began a project many a few years ago to do this very thing for our school at Rock Hill, but have had trouble completing. Your work is greatly appreciated!! We will be putting together a post with this information for your school and will give you credit along with your website on our social media page.

Do you by chance plan on doing this for basketball?

Again thank you for sharing your work!!!

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

RHRedmenLive wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:25 am This is fantastic!! We began a project many a few years ago to do this very thing for our school at Rock Hill, but have had trouble completing. Your work is greatly appreciated!! We will be putting together a post with this information for your school and will give you credit along with your website on our social media page.

Do you by chance plan on doing this for basketball?

Again thank you for sharing your work!!!
I did my school's basketball. It is quite difficult. I don't know about Ohio but games where I live are often postponed due to weather. This makes things tough. Most of the Rock Hill football scores were in the Ironton paper but I have never found the 1965 game vs South Point. Most years the Ironton paper has good coverage for football. I don't know about basketball. There is always the possibility of looking in the opponent's paper. If a game vs Oak Hill is not in the Ironton paper it may be in the Oak Hill or Jackson paper.

Rock Hill also presents an added problem because there is no town called Rock Hill. So when you use the internet you have to search for the keyword "Rock Hill" and then if that doesn't yield results you have to do the whole search over using the keyword "Pedro". Dawson-Bryant aka Coal Grove presents the same issue.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

You do a great job with your research. Even though we no longer have football at Ironton St.Joe I would like to see the history in your work.
I know in the 50's and 60's we had some very good teams and might surprise some here how competitive we actually were. Thanks and keep up the excellent work.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:06 am You do a great job with your research. Even though we no longer have football at Ironton St.Joe I would like to see the history in your work.
I know in the 50's and 60's we had some very good teams and might surprise some here how competitive we actually were. Thanks and keep up the excellent work.
Have they played any football since 1992?

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Added Portsmouth Notre Dame. School was called Holy Redeemer until 1929. Then it was Central Catholic until 1951. Only missing three scores after 1929.

1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by 1gcfan »

This is great work! I vividly remember the 1961 New Lexington at Coal Grove game. Both were pretty good teams. Hope you can work the MVL teams in as all their games should be on Newspapers.com and the Zanesville papers. The league started in 1938.

1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by 1gcfan »

Ohio is lucky to have Joe Eitel. Think the early 1900's scores are hard to find the 2020 scores would be very difficult without Joe. The demise of daily newspapers, internet chat sites, and school web sites/twitter accounts that are not updated make keeping up with high school sports very difficult. I beleive we are entering an age where only a few fans know where to find results or even care. Details of games have become non existent.

Return to “Football”