Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

Post by Westfan »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:17 am
Cameron34Crazie34 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:53 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:19 pm ... Just finished watching Portsmouth West @ Minford (MHS 78 PWHS 50) ... Minford won the first qtr 33-6 ... the Senators played them practically even the rest of the game ... both teams coughed up the ball Minford 19 times to West's 23 ... West likes to pressure the ball tramping out on the perimeter for 32 minutes ... PWHS has some good shooters who can drop the 3 ball on you it appears ... looked like with the pressure on the perimeter good teams can take advantage from the perimeter along the baseline (Zimmerman for Minford 30+ points) ... Minford hit their 3's (12) and attacked the rim when they broke the pressure ... too many TOs by both teams ... hard to tell from video but West looks to have good size and length as a team ... I'll keep an eye on the Senators and who they play both wins and losses ... as I posted I'm good where they are right now at #42 ...
I feel like we aren’t the greatest shooting team actually. We have some guys that knock down the mid range shots but I feel like we are thriving off the turnovers forced in the trap. We are pretty deep with guys coming off the bench far as bringing energy and length
I believe it was Jesse Dixon who knocked down 2 or 3 shots on the perimeter for the Senators ... I wasn’t keeping stats while I was watching but they run a lot of players in and out of the game - 8 deep or so ? I just looked at the numbers Rodney Moore 6-5 in the paint on the blocks ? He’s a solid 6-5 too... a lot of nice pieces for West ...
At times West plays about 9 or 10. So far it's been different guys that seem to be on that game, so it does make them difficult to prepare for but also difficult to predict what you're gonna get from game to game. But they are inside oriented and success they have will be based off of that even if it's inside out. Defense has been solid and for me that's the biggest change this season. Valley scored 20 points the last 3 quarters and ISJ had 15 points in the 2nd half.

Minford the 2nd game just lit it up. It was probably a mistake coming out in the 1-3-1 zone that game after Minford had seen it just 3 days before. You know they had worked hard on it. But I get the idea in not wanting to change something that worked so well. I also think they may have reverted to bad habits of forcing shots and making turnovers. West isn't talented enough to overcome that. But if they play a certain way they can cause teams fits as they did this week. Hopefully it continues

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Westfan wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:51 pm
Cameron34Crazie34 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:53 pm

I feel like we aren’t the greatest shooting team actually. We have some guys that knock down the mid range shots but I feel like we are thriving off the turnovers forced in the trap. We are pretty deep with guys coming off the bench far as bringing energy and length
I believe it was Jesse Dixon who knocked down 2 or 3 shots on the perimeter for the Senators ... I wasn’t keeping stats while I was watching but they run a lot of players in and out of the game - 8 deep or so ? I just looked at the numbers Rodney Moore 6-5 in the paint on the blocks ? He’s a solid 6-5 too... a lot of nice pieces for West ...
At times West plays about 9 or 10. So far it's been different guys that seem to be on that game, so it does make them difficult to prepare for but also difficult to predict what you're gonna get from game to game. But they are inside oriented and success they have will be based off of that even if it's inside out. Defense has been solid and for me that's the biggest change this season. Valley scored 20 points the last 3 quarters and ISJ had 15 points in the 2nd half.

Minford the 2nd game just lit it up. It was probably a mistake coming out in the 1-3-1 zone that game after Minford had seen it just 3 days before. You know they had worked hard on it. But I get the idea in not wanting to change something that worked so well. I also think they may have reverted to bad habits of forcing shots and making turnovers. West isn't talented enough to overcome that. But if they play a certain way they can cause teams fits as they did this week. Hopefully it continues
Is there a Davis kid that plays?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:14 pm

32-Jacob Davis F Jr. 5-11

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Good deal. We started traveling back about 7-8 years ago and had a Sunday league at old PWest high school...Davis kid was one of their better players. Just wondering.

Portsmouth may not appreciate Pfloyd but in West Portsmouth you are up there with Roy Rogers

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:13 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Good deal. We started traveling back about 7-8 years ago and had a Sunday league at old PWest high school...Davis kid was one of their better players. Just wondering.

Portsmouth may not appreciate Pfloyd but in West Portsmouth you are up there with Roy Rogers
... pfloyd , Roy Rogers, Trigger, Dale Evans ... the Roy Rogers Esplanade ( a pitching wedge from the Ribber in P'town)- all world famous ...

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Pfloyd......I haven't been on the site this season due to wanting to get more info before posting. FU has been through a lot with the Covid issues and then I learned that they had several kids quit or opt out this season. Don't have any real info why but FU only has McGill and Bean from last year. Several others that played some varsity or made big contributions on JV quit or didn't come out. Unfortunately FU will probably be lucky to be a .500 team. Just thought I would give you some info on FU when you see them not have the type of season we have all been used to the last several years.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Smeltzy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:08 pm Pfloyd......I haven't been on the site this season due to wanting to get more info before posting. FU has been through a lot with the Covid issues and then I learned that they had several kids quit or opt out this season. Don't have any real info why but FU only has McGill and Bean from last year. Several others that played some varsity or made big contributions on JV quit or didn't come out. Unfortunately FU will probably be lucky to be a .500 team. Just thought I would give you some info on FU when you see them not have the type of season we have all been used to the last several years.
Wow. Had no idea. That’s significant info. Hope all is well for those kids and families. I won’t count Eversole out.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:51 pm
Smeltzy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:08 pm Pfloyd......I haven't been on the site this season due to wanting to get more info before posting. FU has been through a lot with the Covid issues and then I learned that they had several kids quit or opt out this season. Don't have any real info why but FU only has McGill and Bean from last year. Several others that played some varsity or made big contributions on JV quit or didn't come out. Unfortunately FU will probably be lucky to be a .500 team. Just thought I would give you some info on FU when you see them not have the type of season we have all been used to the last several years.
Wow. Had no idea. That’s significant info. Hope all is well for those kids and families. I won’t count Eversole out.
Completely agree with your statement, especially that final part.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... wow, hate to hear about kids opting out - for any reason - Coach Eversole/Coach Helber do a great job with the FU program ... the boys are 2-0 ... they will play themselves up or down the rankings based on what they do on the court ... they won't fall based on the fact that kids quit or did not come out this year - I have way to much respect for Coach Eversole and Coach Helber to do that ... as always I wish the FU team the best moving forward ... good to see YOUR POST Smeltzy !!! Happy Holidays to you my friend !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fairland 17
Buckeye Valley 29 at the half

... BV has hit 4-5 threes ... has size, has stuffed a number of FHS shots at the rim /taking away the perimeter shot from the Dragons ... nice BV team ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chesapeake 66
Portsmouth 43 final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fairland 61
Buckeye Valley 70 final

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:01 pm Chesapeake 66
Portsmouth 43 final
Lol

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:01 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:01 pm Chesapeake 66
Portsmouth 43 final
Lol
Swanker Pine liked your comment “lol”

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Trimble added a game @ Piketon this Wednesday

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:52 pm Trimble added a game @ Piketon this Wednesday
Should be a solid game....I think Trimble still wins by 8-10 but a good game for both

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:52 pm Trimble added a game @ Piketon this Wednesday
... saw that in daniC's post earlier today - I'll have that one on if it's live streamed for sure ! want to see this year's edition of the Tomcats !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:58 pm
Should be a solid game....I think Trimble still wins by 8-10 but a good game for both
93dog - do you have the roster for Trimble ?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:00 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:58 pm
93dog - do you have the roster for Trimble ?
I do not yet.
No preview in the Messenger is killin me this year. Lol

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:29 pm
... wow, hate to hear about kids opting out - for any reason - Coach Eversole/Coach Helber do a great job with the FU program ... the boys are 2-0 ... they will play themselves up or down the rankings based on what they do on the court ... they won't fall based on the fact that kids quit or did not come out this year - I have way to much respect for Coach Eversole and Coach Helber to do that ... as always I wish the FU team the best moving forward ... good to see YOUR POST Smeltzy !!! Happy Holidays to you my friend !!!
Thanks pfloyd. I also have much respect for our coaches. Was just letting others know FU might not be what they usually are, but know they will compete hard due to the coaching and players that are still there. Hope to see you again soon my friend, take care.

Return to “Boys Basketball”