Ironton v Burg 2020

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Ironton v Burg 2021

Post by fbnut »

Burg was going toe to toe with PHS in the 70’s when Portsmouth was giving ironton all they wanted

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

522Pirate wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:50 pm
Paulcrew wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:13 pm Burg finally came off the porch in 82 and 83... took the L both years and like a cicada went back into hiding until the 90’s
Dominant since the 70’s? many years in 70s and early 80s you wouldn’t have won the OVC because Coal Grove would eat you several times
They actually played head to head in the 80's...record from '80 - '89 was 7-3 in favor of the Pirates. If you go by "early" 80's CG did have the advantage going 3-2 from '80-'84...then Burg won the next 12
Let’s not let facts get in the way🤣

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:28 am I don’t care about who transfers where, I don’t support either school, but I do enjoy watching both play. That said let’s be honest. Both of these schools get kids who transfer in. 2 off the top of my head for each are Master to Ironton from Burg & a few years back Lowery from Portsmouth to Burg. Both transferred during high school, it is what it is. I’ll tell you all right now, I’d be tickled if Portsmouth had half the amount of transfers as these 2 schools. Kids & parents want to win, it’s where we are in 2021. Better get used to it.
The same old school goofs that repeat logical fallacies like "participation trophies" are the same goofies who whine about modernized competition. They're just mad life changed after 1984. Evolve or die. 💯

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

wobycat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:01 pm
Taylormade wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:12 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:28 am

Dated? The last team of these two to win a championship was burg. And they did it without any extra players somehow.

I think burgs coaching staff is top notch in the area.

They do the best with what they have not with what they can get.

Absolutely laughable. Wheelersburg has for years in S.Co
Was what Ironton is to L.Co
Your living in a dream world if you think otherwise
Apples and oranges. Burg and ironton have always had kids attend their schools from neighboring schools. I’m talking about high school transfers.

I don’t know of many players that’s come to burg from another high school during high school years except for the kid that came last year from Ashland and the kid a couple of years ago from ironton. But I’ve heard about many that’s came to ironton in the last three seasons. One every now and then I can see for these two schools but the amount that ironton has had lately is very unusual. Easier to win when you get several kids from other schools in high school that can play.

If this was going on at burg, this forum would be lit up with people commenting on it.

Like I said, this may be the future but I hope not. It’s killed college sports in my opinion
Tbh, it's time for you to update your software. Welcome to 2021. Go stream some J Cole, buy a better phone, watch some IMG or St Josephs or Duncanville games. Read some current info about what a modern student athlete needs to have access to to be viably competitive, and move on from "back when." It's over.

Also, ya areas population trends decline. So the goal ( whether it happens or not) is growth. Expand. New people. New ideas. If ya not growing, you're dying. It's likely you'll see even more and more change as time goes by. It's normal and ok. You'll adapt. Lol

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Competion is good.

Recruiting IS competition.

Thought big blue collar SEO embraced the rough edged hard nosed reality of real life?

Well, recruiting teaches you real life lessons and you will encounter it in one aspect or another throughout your student & professional life. So which is it SEO?

You tough and practical or are ya whiners who get upset cause life ain't fair?

So make a choice and quit yackin outta both sides of ya mouth. Which is it? Quit whining about reality. 😂

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

fbnut wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:21 pm Burg was going toe to toe with PHS in the 70’s when Portsmouth was giving ironton all they wanted

I think it is a fair statement when I say excluding a 7 to 8 yr blip for Burg, Ironton is the overall Big Dog in SEO as well as the comfortable leader in head to head matchups. Ironton has played and beaten more elite programs during comparing tenures, produced more next level talent, produced better and more noteable staff ( coaching) and is presently outperforming burg as a program coming off a pretty easy win in their last head to head matchup.

And it's fair to say Burg fans NOTICE the present disparity and feel a way about it.

And that is why the whining about "transfers" etc etc. That 7/8 yrs spoiled em. They never did it for straight decades like Ironton has over their history. Burgs fan base is still learning how to act like they been there even though they're not anymore.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SpeedKillz wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:12 pm
fbnut wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:21 pm Burg was going toe to toe with PHS in the 70’s when Portsmouth was giving ironton all they wanted

I think it is a fair statement when I say excluding a 7 to 8 yr blip for Burg, Ironton is the overall Big Dog in SEO as well as the comfortable leader in head to head matchups. Ironton has played and beaten more elite programs during comparing tenures, produced more next level talent, produced better and more noteable staff ( coaching) and is presently outperforming burg as a program coming off a pretty easy win in their last head to head matchup.

And it's fair to say Burg fans NOTICE the present disparity and feel a way about it.

And that is why the whining about "transfers" etc etc. That 7/8 yrs spoiled em. They never did it for straight decades like Ironton has over their history. Burgs fan base is still learning how to act like they been there even though they're not anymore.
:lol: Burg has same amount as state titles as ironton especially relevant in this decade. Burg also holds the fourth highest percentage in the state of Ohio’s history. There’s a minimum for that so to make a statement saying they haven’t been doing it for decades is simply just an inaccurate statement.

I don’t think anyone outside of ironton is going to clap too hard for the recent tiger uptick. That is until we can see what the staff can do without new players coming in every season to help.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

A Burg fan complaining about another school getting transfers. I imagine that’s quite comical to most posters on here lol. :lol:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:58 pm A Burg fan complaining about another school getting transfers. I imagine that’s quite comical to most posters on here lol. :lol:

Name a season when burg had 12 transfers in the span of three years from other high schools. Isn’t that the amount ironton has had? That’s a whole team. Lol

Not complaining. Just stating facts.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:17 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:58 pm A Burg fan complaining about another school getting transfers. I imagine that’s quite comical to most posters on here lol. :lol:

Name a season when burg had 12 transfers in the span of three years from other high schools. Isn’t that the amount ironton has had? That’s a whole team. Lol

The Pirates have had their share of transfers just like Ironton has over the years, CB number is the same the last time I checked, regardless if it was in the last 3 years or the last 6 years that you got them. I’d rather had them starting in Junior High myself, they have more time to learn the system.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

Wobycat,
Does Burg allow their youth football program to be open to anyone in the area or do the kids have to be enrolled at Wheelersburg? Just curious…

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

TigerMania wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:16 pm Wobycat,
Does Burg allow their youth football program to be open to anyone in the area or do the kids have to be enrolled at Wheelersburg? Just curious…
From third and fourth grade flag football up through fifth and sixth grade peewee football, you must be enrolled at Wheelersburg to play

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:22 pm
From third and fourth grade flag football up through fifth and sixth grade peewee football, you must be enrolled at Wheelersburg to play
I was curious because Ironton is opening up their youth football to anyone in the area and they don’t have to be enrolled at Ironton. One of the coaches said that the Burg does it like this too? So, I thought I’d ask on here about it.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Not sure on Wheelersburg. But I know for certain private schools allow kids from any school to play along with all the KY and WV schools. It would be smart of some schools to allow it. Many schools in SEO don’t have football and their kids could play at a neighboring district.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerMania wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:36 pm
PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:22 pm
I was curious because Ironton is opening up their youth football to anyone in the area and they don’t have to be enrolled at Ironton. One of the coaches said that the Burg does it like this too? So, I thought I’d ask on here about it.
No only kids from burg attend the football program. Not sure on their camp. But most schools have their own camp so I doubt they would get any students if they did allow anyone in.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:42 pm

The Pirates have had their share of transfers just like Ironton has over the years, CB number is the same the last time I checked, regardless if it was in the last 3 years or the last 6 years that you got them. I’d rather had them starting in Junior High myself, they have more time to learn the system.
Lol. Burg has never had that many come into junior high either, since you didn’t answer my question.

The CB numbers are the same because burg tends to have many students start elementary from just outside of school district. The school is top notch academically as well as a rounded athletic department. The community is pretty well supported. Burg every now and then will get a kid from a nearby school but 99% are there since elementary. Maybe they know how to recruit 5 year olds.

There’s no comparison between elementary open enrollment and kids that started at their previous high school.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

XandOs wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:43 pm Not sure on Wheelersburg. But I know for certain private schools allow kids from any school to play along with all the KY and WV schools. It would be smart of some schools to allow it. Many schools in SEO don’t have football and their kids could play at a neighboring district.
Ironton is not a private school. Just not sure why their youth football is open to any kid in the area? Never seen or heard of it before around here. Just curious.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

A lot of schools in the area are open for anyone wanting to play youth football. I know a lot of the SOC schools will allow anyone to play, Burg was one that didn’t but numbers are going down especially while trying to play a inner league schedule. Many of the area schools join a youth football league but burg does not

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I don’t know the exact numbers but the 5-6th grade league had 4 teams last year as they have for at least the last 7 years...

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:50 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:42 pm

Lol. Burg has never had that many come into junior high either, since you didn’t answer my question.

The CB numbers are the same because burg tends to have many students start elementary from just outside of school district. The school is top notch academically as well as a rounded athletic department. The community is pretty well supported. Burg every now and then will get a kid from a nearby school but 99% are there since elementary. Maybe they know how to recruit 5 year olds.

There’s no comparison between elementary open enrollment and kids that started at their previous high school.
Public Schools ‐ Determining Tiers (Single High School Districts)
Ask: “Does the student and at least one parent currently reside within your school district?” If Yes: Enter this student as a Tier 0. ** (Visit www.ohsaa.org for non‐enrolled students) If No, Ask: “Has the student maintained continuous enrollment inside your district
since the start of 7th grade (likely via open enrollment)?”
If Yes: Enter this student as a Tier 1. If No: Enter this student as a Tier 2

From ohsaa competitive balance website. Pre 7th grade is a zero, so if Burg and Irontons competitive balance numbers are 21, what they were last year, they are getting kids starting in jr hi and after.

Return to “Football”