OVC & SOC Merge Talk

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Is ovc expanding?

Post by wobycat »

Omega wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:24 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:37 am
Omega wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 am Is the OVC just being preemptive in preparation for Ironton's eventual departure?
Where are they going?
Good question Wob. I think Ironton staying in the OVC would be in the best interest of all sports for the Tigers, but I can see the football wanting out to enhance playoff potential by scheduling up. If that is the case, Itown would go the independent route.
Is the SOC that much more better than ovc in football. Typically burg is the front runner and has won a lot of titles. Not once would I think burg would be better leaving the SOC. Ironton does have to play one more conference game. That’s not going to break them. Unless Ironton pipelines several players in, they aren’t going to be as dominant as they would want to be. Our area is dwindling fast. I almost think it would be better for schools to consolidate.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Omega wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 am Is the OVC just being preemptive in preparation for Ironton's eventual departure?
I think this is an attempted compromise between Ironton and OVC, so Ironton doesn't have to schedule South Point, Chesapeake and Rock Hill in football, but can keep rest of their sports in OVC where they belong. Independence would work for Ironton football, but not for any other sport.

Since OVC wants 2 divisions, they need to add 4 schools in an ideal scenario. Some schools that make sense include Jackson, Wellston, Oak Hill, and Symmes Valley.*

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:46 pm
I think this is an attempted compromise between Ironton and OVC, so Ironton doesn't have to schedule South Point, Chesapeake and Rock Hill in football, but can keep rest of their sports in OVC where they belong. Independence would work for Ironton football, but not for any other sport.

Since OVC wants 2 divisions, they need to add 4 schools in an ideal scenario. Some schools that make sense include Jackson, Wellston, Oak Hill, and Symmes Valley.*
I think River Valley and South Gallia could be other names included. Wellston may be too far north, and Jackson may be too large of a school in my opinion, but those 6 would be the schools that make the most sense as candidates.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:31 pm
Omega wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:24 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:37 am

Where are they going?
Good question Wob. I think Ironton staying in the OVC would be in the best interest of all sports for the Tigers, but I can see the football wanting out to enhance playoff potential by scheduling up. If that is the case, Itown would go the independent route.
Is the SOC that much more better than ovc in football. Typically burg is the front runner and has won a lot of titles. Not once would I think burg would be better leaving the SOC. Ironton does have to play one more conference game. That’s not going to break them. Unless Ironton pipelines several players in, they aren’t going to be as dominant as they would want to be. Our area is dwindling fast. I almost think it would be better for schools to consolidate.
Consolidation makes since in many ways but it does not always translate to more athletic success for the communities involved. The talent pool is bigger but the roster spots are not. Fewer chances for "average" athletes to compete and contribute

I know conferences are sacrosanct in Ohio, but is it time that the OHSAA goes to "district" play model like Kentucky?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Who would they play on the back end of their schedule? Trying to schedule teams that are already in conference play. They would have to play a bunch of private schools or other states.

I think this is more along the lines of creating two divisions like the SOC

Ovc 1
South point
Chesapeake
Maybe add Symes valley
Coal grove
Maybe add river valley

Ovc 2
Rock hill
Ironton
Gallia
Portsmouth
Fair land

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Interesting to read this. I don’t hate the idea. I would assume 2 divisions in football with 10 schools you’d play the 4 other in your division and then maybe 1 or 2 from the other division with 4 out of conference games? Maybe you don’t play the other division at all in football? Regardless I’d like it for the simple fact of more out of conference games for the Trojans. Not sure what new schools would be added. Jackson seems too big for the ovc imo. Didn’t River Valley just leave the ovc right before Portsmouth, Ironton & Gallia joined? Maybe a smaller division would be enticing? Oak Hill seems like a good fit. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Who Dey!
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:04 pm

Who would they play on the back end of their schedule? Trying to schedule teams that are already in conference play. They would have to play a bunch of private schools or other states.

Ovc 1
South point
Chesapeake
Maybe add Symes valley
Coal grove
Maybe add river valley

Ovc 2
Rock hill
Ironton
Gallia
Portsmouth
Fair land
woby: I meant that it basically unrealistic for Ironton to go independent in football while OVC allowing them to keep their other sports in OVC (that rumor has been going around for a few months). So my post was about OVC expansion being a compromise with Ironton staying, and 2 divisions being created (b/c South Point, Rock Hill, etc. will also be just fine not having to play Ironton in football). At that point, a team like Jackson may be interested. But Symmes Valley, Oak Hill, and River Valley all seem like real good fits in this scenario. Agreed about scheduling late in year being a nightmare for an independent team though.*

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:31 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:04 pm

Ovc 1
South point
Chesapeake
Maybe add Symes valley
Coal grove
Maybe add river valley

Ovc 2
Rock hill
Ironton
Gallia
Portsmouth
Fair land
woby: I meant that it basically unrealistic for Ironton to go independent in football while OVC allowing them to keep their other sports in OVC (that rumor has been going around for a few months). So my post was about OVC expansion being a compromise with Ironton staying, and 2 divisions being created (b/c South Point, Rock Hill, etc. will also be just fine not having to play Ironton in football). At that point, a team like Jackson may be interested. But Symmes Valley, Oak Hill, and River Valley all seem like real good fits in this scenario. Agreed about scheduling late in year being a nightmare for an independent team though.*
Yep I agree with you. And honestly a two tired ovc makes sense.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Burg
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia
Jackson
Waverly

Oak Hill
Valley
Minford
Northwest
Wellston or Piketon
West

fairland
Peake
Coal grove
Rock hill
South point
Symmes Valley or River Valley

Western , River Valley or Symmes Valley
Green
East
Norte Dame
South Gallia
Eastern

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

mattash wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:49 pm 1
Burg
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia
Jackson
Waverly

Oak Hill
Valley
Minford
Northwest
Wellston or Piketon
West

fairland
Peake
Coal grove
Rock hill
South point

Green
East
Norte Dame
South Gallia
Eastern
I’d make some changes to this. Portsmouth down to 2, Fairland up to 1, get rid of Piketon/Wellston. SV & RV both to 3. 4 is fine.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:10 pm
mattash wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:49 pm 1
Burg
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia
Jackson
Waverly

Oak Hill
Valley
Minford
Northwest
Wellston or Piketon
West

fairland
Peake
Coal grove
Rock hill
South point

Green
East
Norte Dame
South Gallia
Eastern
I’d make some changes to this. Portsmouth down to 2, Fairland up to 1, get rid of Piketon/Wellston. SV & RV both to 3. 4 is fine.
I agree dropping Portsmouth down. Portsmouth is not the Portsmouth of old. Not sure why people always have them with the top teams. Had some success the past couple years and hopefully moving up but in past years Portsmouth wouldn’t beat any team in the top. They have lost to valley, west and northwest.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Because of travel and fuel costs exploding, I can see SV going to the ovc.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

Right now the OVC sits at 8 teams. If they would add two teams that takes them to 10 and it leaves a question on
how you schedule. Do you just play everyone in football and leave only one open date for non conf or do you divide into two divisions and play your four divisional foes and maybe one or two cross divisional game each year?
two divisions gives a few more schools the opportunity to compete for a divisional title. I can’t imagine Fairland and Ironton would be happy with 9 conference games, seeing that both schools have shown a desire to beef up
their non conf football schedules.
IMO only ironton and maybe fairland would be ok with Jackson. I don’t see any other current OVCmember voting in favor of adding Jackson.
Based on past few years, it would be interesting to see Ironton, Jackson, Fairland, Waverly and Chillicothe in a division of either the SOC or the OVC or possibly a new conference. With the 823 bypass, waverly and chillicothe are easy trips from Lawrence and Scioto County.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Paulcrew wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:27 am Right now the OVC sits at 8 teams. If they would add two teams that takes them to 10 and it leaves a question on
how you schedule. Do you just play everyone in football and leave only one open date for non conf or do you divide into two divisions and play your four divisional foes and maybe one or two cross divisional game each year?
two divisions gives a few more schools the opportunity to compete for a divisional title. I can’t imagine Fairland and Ironton would be happy with 9 conference games, seeing that both schools have shown a desire to beef up
their non conf football schedules.
IMO only ironton and maybe fairland would be ok with Jackson. I don’t see any other current OVCmember voting in favor of adding Jackson.
Based on past few years, it would be interesting to see Ironton, Jackson, Fairland, Waverly and Chillicothe in a division of either the SOC or the OVC or possibly a new conference. With the 823 bypass, waverly and chillicothe are easy trips from Lawrence and Scioto County.
Why in the World would Chillicothe go to OVC? Plus you are leaving out Gallia which is already in the League. Only chance OVC has is to grab a few from the SOC, but talks in the SOC is expanding to three divisions, so I doubt anyone leaves that conference. Jackson may be the only one to reach out, but I do agree with you that many OVC schools probably will not vote them in.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

The only way Jackson would have a shot of getting in would be with a package deal of Jackson and Oak Hill. That would help but still be an uphill battle with most schools.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Love to see how one post/tweet has ignited legit expansion talks on here. Football season has started early this year!

Vike73
Riding the Bench

Post by Vike73 »

Oak Hill would be a good fit. I don't see Ironton going independent, but you never know I guess.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Herald dispatch article with a little more information...

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/ ... 57474.html

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Jackson and Oak Hill seem to be the best fit for a large division and small division with River Valley and Symmes Valley and strong second or a possible 4 team add. Jackson would take over Gallia as the biggest if they came in to the League.
Current league Member Enrollments:
Gallia - 223 boys; 195 girls
Fairland - 185; 197
Ironton - 183; 176
Portsmouth - 171; 158
Chesapeake - 164; 160
South Point - 163; 164
Rock Hill - 148; 160
Coal Grove - 131; 138

Jackson - 277; 260
Oak Hill - 147; 137
Symmes Valley - 94; 89
River Valley - 196; 185

OVC-I
Gallia
Fairland
Ironton
Portsmouth
Jackson**
River Valley**

OVC-II
Chesapeake
South Point
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
Oak Hill**
Symmes Valley**

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Let’s take Jackson out of the equation in this scenario. Let’s say you add 2 schools. 2 of these 3 schools Symmes Valley, River Valley, Oak Hill. You split into 2 divisions. Big Gallia, Fairland, Ironton, Portsmouth. Who becomes that last school in this big division? Nobody is really going to want to be in that and play those schools while the others don’t have to. River Valley has the numbers, they’d make the most sense. But would they really want to enter back into the league and have to play those 4 other schools every year? Let’s say they don’t join. Who takes that last spot? SP or Peake? RH? OH? Wouldn’t be SV, wouldn’t be CG. I just think it would be interesting to see who that last team in that big side would be. I’m obviously going off of numbers and not how competitive they’ve been recently.

Who Dey!

Return to “Football”