Re: Serious Burg vs Ironton question

Post by BigCarlito72 »

Cincinnatti Lasalle and Canton mckinley should do, huh? 😂😂😂😂

BTWN_THE_LINE
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

A rivalry game is only a rivalry if it's competitive. How Ironton was 20 years ago means nothing. No reason for them to have fallen apart like they have. Keep the game but common Tigers.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Keep it, we never said uncle. They won't and we get good points

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Keep Ironton get rid of Fairland.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Wheelersburg thumped Ironton last year. West and Waverly were both average last year. They both played right with Wheelersburg. Wheelersburg didn't even win the Region. Now they're too good to play us?

Absolutely go independent. Burn bridges with the local teams.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Westfan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 am Wheelersburg thumped Ironton last year. West and Waverly were both average last year. They both played right with Wheelersburg. Wheelersburg didn't even win the Region. Now they're too good to play us?

What does west and waverly have to do with this?? Lol

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 am Wheelersburg thumped Ironton last year. West and Waverly were both average last year. They both played right with Wheelersburg. Wheelersburg didn't even win the Region. Now they're too good to play us?

Don't be ignorant. Not one Burg fan said that. Try all you want to spin it. But this has nothing to do with West or "burning bridges".

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ironman02 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:23 pm Wheelersburg is hammering everyone in SE Ohio right now. Their program is in a great position, and has always been consistently successful. However, this is a series that Ironton used to control. It may take a while, but I think Ironton will improve enough to make this a competitive series again in the future. Burg could definitely seek out a better opponent, but it's probably a game that shouldn't leave the schedule forever.

I do get what people are thinking though, because I feel the same way about the Jackson/Wellston series. If Wheelersburg wants to take that next step, and become a perennial state title contender, playing opponents that will raise their level of play through more intense competition is the way to do that. I think scheduling Watterson this season is definitely a good thing (even though they're a little down from what they used to be), and more games like that in the future will benefit their program as a whole.

I do believe it's very difficult to convince some schools from the metropolitan areas to travel down to our part of the state, especially when those schools usually play in D3 or higher. They don't wanna make the trip when they can find a competitive game in closer proximity, and they also don't want to get trucked by a D5 program.

wonderful post ironman.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

There is nothing wrong with Ironton that a few years of beefing up the lower grades from pee wee up won't help . Burgs lower grades is where these better teams are formed. Go by the old school on the ridge it looks like half the schools kids are there and parents there to support them. Also there are good guys giving there time to make the teams you see on Friday nights. Coach Woodward can be seen at these practice when time allows.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:30 pm IMO I wish the series would end. It's been lopsided as of late and I don't feel that this game benefits us

doggie as much as it pains me to admit it. I know how you feel. but honestly and in all fairness. this was the same way ironton must have felt about the series up till 2007 where burg had won like 3 to that point if memory serves me correct. especially back then when they were only taking 2 to 4 teams in the playoffs instead of 8. I just don't feel ironton's staff can get the job done anymore against teams like burg.i think they are all wonderful people, but are just not getting it done. but recover well in the ovc. which does a great deal in actuality point wise for burg. ------------------------ but something has to give. we are not winning our ooc games anymore. even though they are unbeaten in ovc play. that just don't cut it for tiger fans spoiled by the past successes. back in the day nobody wanted to play ironton, now everybody that has a team wants to get that feather in their cap. from what I'd been told I thought we had a virtual chance against burg. but again were just completely manhandled in every aspect of the game. anyhow nothing but mad respect for burg, and a friend once told me the best coaching gets done between week 1 n 2. I suppose he meant because the whole off season you've dwelt on that opening opponent. personally I want to see the series continue. I don't think the burg actually has serious intentions of dropping this game before they turn the series to their favor.but is it really good for ironton or burg anymore if they are blowouts with running clocks. I don't think they could live with that thought. ------------------------ anybody know how close this series is now. it has to be very close at this point.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

Our Pirates have to play our conference schedule, it's just the way it is. But, we do have and need to use flexibility in our non conference schedule. We have an opportunity to play at a higher level and we really need games with programs to help us achieve that level. We need to make some changes soon rather than later as our window of opportunity to have higher relevancy is upon us now. The Ironton game (a non-conference game) no longer helps us achieve that level. And honestly I don't see Ironton coming back to past prevalence, I actually see the other schools in the OVC closing the gap on them.

Even if we schedule a team that we take a loss to, it helps the kids see the level of play they need to be seeing in order to get to the Championship game at State and truly competing to win it, we need to build some more hunger in our kids, let them deal with stress in the regular season to be better able to deal the stress in the post season....JMO

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

and yes...Fairland should never have been scheduled!!

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

Burg has been and will continue to be in the running for a State Final. Next year Burg has dropped Fairland and pick up Bishop Hartley , so continue with Ironton , Hartley , Heath, Watterson and Jackson , I say this is a great Non Conference schedule to better prepare them for Playoffs....

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I love how Burg wins a few games by a lot and you fans start saying end the series it's not competitive anymore. Ironton won like 16 in a row over you guys and not once did people say let's end the series it's not competitive.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

Tigercannon71 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:17 am I love how Burg wins a few games by a lot and you fans start saying end the series it's not competitive anymore. Ironton won like 16 in a row over you guys and not once did people say let's end the series it's not competitive.

I say keep it going, however Ironton never won 16 in a row, and most certainly most of those games were competitive , not like these last few years !

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Sport Fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am Burg has been and will continue to be in the running for a State Final. Next year Burg has dropped Fairland and pick up Bishop Hartley , so continue with Ironton , Hartley , Heath, Watterson and Jackson , I say this is a great Non Conference schedule to better prepare them for Playoffs....
I didn't know that Burg had added Hartley for next year. Excellent choice!

Having Hartley and Watterson on the schedule, plus Jackson is a great non-conference slate, in my opinion. I maintain that Ironton will get better at some point, and Heath is also a good game. Heath has been a little up and down lately, but traditionally, they have a solid program.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Tigercannon71 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:17 am I love how Burg wins a few games by a lot and you fans start saying end the series it's not competitive anymore. Ironton won like 16 in a row over you guys and not once did people say let's end the series it's not competitive.
Ironton never came close to winning 16 in a row. This might be the longest streak by either team. The difference is just about all the games used to be very competitive.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

BigChuck wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:06 am Our Pirates have to play our conference schedule, it's just the way it is. But, we do have and need to use flexibility in our non conference schedule. We have an opportunity to play at a higher level and we really need games with programs to help us achieve that level. We need to make some changes soon rather than later as our window of opportunity to have higher relevancy is upon us now. The Ironton game (a non-conference game) no longer helps us achieve that level. And honestly I don't see Ironton coming back to past prevalence, I actually see the other schools in the OVC closing the gap on them.

Even if we schedule a team that we take a loss to, it helps the kids see the level of play they need to be seeing in order to get to the Championship game at State and truly competing to win it, we need to build some more hunger in our kids, let them deal with stress in the regular season to be better able to deal the stress in the post season....JMO
I totally understand chuck. and that's exactly how ironton football was built as well. I just hope the series continues. but yes ironton has been caught by the other county schools now.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree here as well. but if ironton cannot field a competitive team that can regularly compete with teams like burg I see their point as well. ironton made themselves a football giant by playing any and everybody. but things have just changed. I don't want to see the series end. but every burg poster you talk to wants that. so I'm assuming that is the heartbeat of their program's and communities thinking.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ironman02 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 pm
Sport Fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am Burg has been and will continue to be in the running for a State Final. Next year Burg has dropped Fairland and pick up Bishop Hartley , so continue with Ironton , Hartley , Heath, Watterson and Jackson , I say this is a great Non Conference schedule to better prepare them for Playoffs....
I didn't know that Burg had added Hartley for next year. Excellent choice!

Having Hartley and Watterson on the schedule, plus Jackson is a great non-conference slate, in my opinion. I maintain that Ironton will get better at some point, and Heath is also a good game. Heath has been a little up and down lately, but traditionally, they have a solid program.

I could not agree more, just jealous it hain't still the tigers that are doing it.

Return to “Football”