Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:14 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:00 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:58 pm

Should be a solid game....I think Trimble still wins by 8-10 but a good game for both
93dog - do you have the roster for Trimble ?
I do not yet.
No preview in the Messenger is killin me this year. Lol
No Shriners Preview games with their program of all of the TVC rosters ... No Marietta newspaper rundown of the rosters for Marietta , FF, Warren, Belpre etc. th Washington county teams, No ironton Tribune preview of the OVC, the Portsmouth Paper actually did a great job with the rosters of the SOC1 & 2 teams but nothing this year ... sigh - it's tough this year LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

These are the scores I have from Monday's Menu of Games ... am I missing any finals ?:

Portsmouth 43
Chesapeake 66

Fairland 61
Buckeye Valley 70

... the Dragons got this one down to 5 points towards the end of the 3rd but a 3 pointer and 1 by BV took the momentum out of the FHS sails pushing the lead back up to near double figures ... after the first quarter the Dragons played BV pretty even ... BV did to FHS what the Dragons do to most teams - hold teams defensively while draining 3's ... get that double digit advantage/separation that is hard to reel-in as an opponent ... it was a good game for Fairland to play - away/D2 school/a team that had size/a players who could drain the 3/an opponent that would make you work to get rebounds ... improvement comes when you play a team that even on paper is going to require your best effort to get a W ... Olentangy Berlin tonight again on the road for Fairland ...

Crooksville 72
Miller 48

.... glad to see Crooksville get off of the End Table as they have played some GOOD teams really close ie. Morgan 64 Crooksville 59 ... the only team that has smoked them is a REALLY REALLY good West M team losing that one 39-65 ... we'll keep watching Crooksville

Portsmouth Notre Dame 60
Rock Hill 45

... anyone else play last night that I'm missing ???

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fairfield Leesburg 56
West Clermont 53

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:37 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:32 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:55 pm

.. no doubt that pfloyd is waaaay down the invite list for many parties - as the Portsmouth SEOP contingent has boycotted posting due to pfloyd rankings, mrwonderful trashed pfloyd for only mentioning "a select group" of coaches out of the 71 in SEO ... yep, pfloyd will be stuck at home watching videos of live streamed pre-2021 games from the Covid Season ... the "committee of one" calls 'em as it sees 'em & ranks them the same LOL ...
You’re always welcome at Unioto...unless you rank us too low, then that’ll all change! 😡
LOL ! always strings attached daniC !!! LOL

Floyd, Iam a Trojan in Arizona and regardless of the die hard Trojan posters not accepting the fact PHS bb is in a dark place. IMO from what I am reading they are in for a long season. Coach Heller quoted, the year after we won state, we went 1-17, coach said “ we are building character”. Keep em coming Floyd, you still have one Trojan fan.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

wipala wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:42 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:37 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:32 pm

You’re always welcome at Unioto...unless you rank us too low, then that’ll all change! 😡
LOL ! always strings attached daniC !!! LOL

Floyd, Iam a Trojan in Arizona and regardless of the die hard Trojan posters not accepting the fact PHS bb is in a dark place. IMO from what I am reading they are in for a long season. Coach Heller quoted, the year after we won state, we went 1-17, coach said “ we are building character”. Keep em coming Floyd, you still have one Trojan fan.
wipala ! good to see your post ! - thanks my friend ... not sure what I did other than rank 'em as I see 'em in the preseason ... Portsmouth lost more than 50% of their scoring from last season ... this season? Duff last night put up great numbers as he must have been 8 for 11 from downtown - but no one else helped him out - they missed a BUNCH of inside shots ! as I posted I don't keep rebounds BUT my feeling from watching the game was that PHS outrebounded the Peake but had only 1 putback bucket ... I watched Portsmouth play Fairland - the opening qtr was Fairlands best of the season as it was something like 31-10 ... after that opening barrage of 3 pointers by Fairland - the Trojans played them even the rest of the way ... the scoring was good from a number of players - last night though? not pretty ... anyway - I'm still watching the Trojans - they may not like in P'town anymore but I will be fair and balanced in covering them ... Happy New Year !!! hope you staying healthy in these difficult times ! please keep posting once in awhile to let us know how you're doing - thanks for your support !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Looks like some movement all over the rankings in the Week that IS - New Boston losing BIG on the road at South Point, Fairland dropping 2 games in C'bus ... Adena looking every bit of the part of an Elite 8 team beating McClain by 24 points ... Unioto making a bid for Elite 8 entry as they are looking more and more UNIOTO -like with the solid defensive efforts/getting the bigs playing as bigs at both ends - rebounding/scoring on the blocks AND rejecting shots/changing the shot of anyone coming into the paint down low/ getting consistent 3 point scoring from multiple players and having a guard that can get you points inside/outside or get to the foul line by getting physical down low ... I'm liking what I'm seeing from the U ! - THE BIG GAME Saturday vs Adena will tell the tale - the U playing 9 vs the 5+1 of Adena - going to be fun to watch !!! FU takes on Waverly this weekend !!! FU playing with not a full hand of players with experience BUT they have talent AND Coach Eversole who doesn't leave a stone unturned in preparation/detail - the expectations are still there for the TEAM the Falcon put on the floor - they are 3-0 with a 49 point spanking of Amanda CC last night ... Zane Trace looks to be a .500 team with North Adams getting attention again as they beat ZT - when they got beat by EB (22 ponts 43-65) then dropped the next game to Batavia - NA lost some of it shine BUT EB is putting up big numbers on everyone the play/22 point loss is not a surprise - the Green Dragons are back on the radar ... Not sure how South Point lost by 20 to Portsmouth / the Pointers are still down 2 key players "Where does that put them in the OVC hunt ? Will the winner of the OVC go unblemished in league play? or is 1 or 2 losses good enough to get it down this season ... Hillsboro keeps winning - with the loss to Jackson - how good is Jackson? Jackson needs to get back on the court to help us out !!! ... Vinton County sits at 5-2 with games coming up vs Jackson on the 2nd (cancelled I assume) and Athens on 1/5 - won't help me this week but next week will separate some of the TVC ... River Valley 5-2 just makes me watch them when they play Wellston/Athens/Meigs/ VC ... the Raiders have yet to beat a team with a winning record ... the teams they have beaten have a total of 6 wins between them and a injury plagued NY team has 3 of those ... no big jumps this week for RV but as they say you can only play the teams on your schedule/can't control their play/just have to keep winning - do it vs Athens/Meigs/Wellston/VC and you have my attention ... Portsmouth Notre Dame plays New Boston tonight ! Tigers coming is after losing to South Point - ND has a lot of good pieces ! saw them on livestream lose to So Webster BUT they still showed me good size/length/speed/shooting/ballhandling - we'll see how they do vs the hurting Tigers tonight ! ... Crooksville moves off the End Table with their win over Miller for their first of the season - the Ceramics have played good teams close this season ! moving up even with only 1 win on the season so far ... looking forward to games tonight and Saturday !!! ... like the idea of it being 2021 and not 2020 anymore , feel like we've been stuck in mud spinning our wheels for years instead of nearly 365 days ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Fairland’s close losses to (6-0) Buckeye Valley and (6-2) Olentangy Berlin shouldn’t drop them too much, IMO.

Adena is the real deal. Their only loss was a tight one to (9-0) Worthington Christian. Adena’s length and skill is going to give a lot of teams fits this season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:59 pm Fairland’s close losses to (6-0) Buckeye Valley and (6-2) Olentangy Berlin shouldn’t drop them too much, IMO.

Adena is the real deal. Their only loss was a tight one to (9-0) Worthington Christian. Adena’s length and skill is going to give a lot of teams fits this season.
... I watched both of the Fairland losses - Buckeye Valley is the real deal , very good D2 team ... the Olentangy Berlin game was there to win (up 11 going into the 4th) - some uncharacteristic "unforced turnovers" let Berlin into the game along with a few missed shots ... with that said Polcyn put in a bucket under the basket with only seconds to play - the clock was stopped by the officials for a timeout - that wasn't called apparently by the Berlin bench ... instead running time off the clock they added to the clock ... had they not stopped the clock time would have runout before they got a shot off ... then there was THE shot - one of those that no one calls a foul on because the shooter flops on the shot - 2 waved it off/1 called a foul ... made all 3 FTs ... hard to watch but having seen a lot of games that SEOhio teams play Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line , teams from SEO have to win ALL phases of a game to come out with a W ... but Fairland looked like Fairland the first 3 qtrs of the Berlin game ...

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:13 pm Looks like some movement all over the rankings in the Week that IS - New Boston losing BIG on the road at South Point, Fairland dropping 2 games in C'bus ... Adena looking every bit of the part of an Elite 8 team beating McClain by 24 points ... Unioto making a bid for Elite 8 entry as they are looking more and more UNIOTO -like with the solid defensive efforts/getting the bigs playing as bigs at both ends - rebounding/scoring on the blocks AND rejecting shots/changing the shot of anyone coming into the paint down low/ getting consistent 3 point scoring from multiple players and having a guard that can get you points inside/outside or get to the foul line by getting physical down low ... I'm liking what I'm seeing from the U ! - THE BIG GAME Saturday vs Adena will tell the tale - the U playing 9 vs the 5+1 of Adena - going to be fun to watch !!! FU takes on Waverly this weekend !!! FU playing with not a full hand of players with experience BUT they have talent AND Coach Eversole who doesn't leave a stone unturned in preparation/detail - the expectations are still there for the TEAM the Falcon put on the floor - they are 3-0 with a 49 point spanking of Amanda CC last night ... Zane Trace looks to be a .500 team with North Adams getting attention again as they beat ZT - when they got beat by EB (22 ponts 43-65) then dropped the next game to Batavia - NA lost some of it shine BUT EB is putting up big numbers on everyone the play/22 point loss is not a surprise - the Green Dragons are back on the radar ... Not sure how South Point lost by 20 to Portsmouth / the Pointers are still down 2 key players "Where does that put them in the OVC hunt ? Will the winner of the OVC go unblemished in league play? or is 1 or 2 losses good enough to get it down this season ... Hillsboro keeps winning - with the loss to Jackson - how good is Jackson? Jackson needs to get back on the court to help us out !!! ... Vinton County sits at 5-2 with games coming up vs Jackson on the 2nd (cancelled I assume) and Athens on 1/5 - won't help me this week but next week will separate some of the TVC ... River Valley 5-2 just makes me watch them when they play Wellston/Athens/Meigs/ VC ... the Raiders have yet to beat a team with a winning record ... the teams they have beaten have a total of 6 wins between them and a injury plagued NY team has 3 of those ... no big jumps this week for RV but as they say you can only play the teams on your schedule/can't control their play/just have to keep winning - do it vs Athens/Meigs/Wellston/VC and you have my attention ... Portsmouth Notre Dame plays New Boston tonight ! Tigers coming is after losing to South Point - ND has a lot of good pieces ! saw them on livestream lose to So Webster BUT they still showed me good size/length/speed/shooting/ballhandling - we'll see how they do vs the hurting Tigers tonight ! ... Crooksville moves off the End Table with their win over Miller for their first of the season - the Ceramics have played good teams close this season ! moving up even with only 1 win on the season so far ... looking forward to games tonight and Saturday !!! ... like the idea of it being 2021 and not 2020 anymore , feel like we've been stuck in mud spinning our wheels for years instead of nearly 365 days ...
Pfloyd,. I believe that FU lost to Liberty Union right before Christmas break. Just wanted to give you updated info.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FU lost to Liberty Union? Didn’t know that

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:07 pm FU lost to Liberty Union? Didn’t know that
55-49 on the 21st

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Smeltzy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:03 pm
pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:13 pm Looks like some movement all over the rankings in the Week that IS - New Boston losing BIG on the road at South Point, Fairland dropping 2 games in C'bus ... Adena looking every bit of the part of an Elite 8 team beating McClain by 24 points ... Unioto making a bid for Elite 8 entry as they are looking more and more UNIOTO -like with the solid defensive efforts/getting the bigs playing as bigs at both ends - rebounding/scoring on the blocks AND rejecting shots/changing the shot of anyone coming into the paint down low/ getting consistent 3 point scoring from multiple players and having a guard that can get you points inside/outside or get to the foul line by getting physical down low ... I'm liking what I'm seeing from the U ! - THE BIG GAME Saturday vs Adena will tell the tale - the U playing 9 vs the 5+1 of Adena - going to be fun to watch !!! FU takes on Waverly this weekend !!! FU playing with not a full hand of players with experience BUT they have talent AND Coach Eversole who doesn't leave a stone unturned in preparation/detail - the expectations are still there for the TEAM the Falcon put on the floor - they are 3-0 with a 49 point spanking of Amanda CC last night ... Zane Trace looks to be a .500 team with North Adams getting attention again as they beat ZT - when they got beat by EB (22 ponts 43-65) then dropped the next game to Batavia - NA lost some of it shine BUT EB is putting up big numbers on everyone the play/22 point loss is not a surprise - the Green Dragons are back on the radar ... Not sure how South Point lost by 20 to Portsmouth / the Pointers are still down 2 key players "Where does that put them in the OVC hunt ? Will the winner of the OVC go unblemished in league play? or is 1 or 2 losses good enough to get it down this season ... Hillsboro keeps winning - with the loss to Jackson - how good is Jackson? Jackson needs to get back on the court to help us out !!! ... Vinton County sits at 5-2 with games coming up vs Jackson on the 2nd (cancelled I assume) and Athens on 1/5 - won't help me this week but next week will separate some of the TVC ... River Valley 5-2 just makes me watch them when they play Wellston/Athens/Meigs/ VC ... the Raiders have yet to beat a team with a winning record ... the teams they have beaten have a total of 6 wins between them and a injury plagued NY team has 3 of those ... no big jumps this week for RV but as they say you can only play the teams on your schedule/can't control their play/just have to keep winning - do it vs Athens/Meigs/Wellston/VC and you have my attention ... Portsmouth Notre Dame plays New Boston tonight ! Tigers coming is after losing to South Point - ND has a lot of good pieces ! saw them on livestream lose to So Webster BUT they still showed me good size/length/speed/shooting/ballhandling - we'll see how they do vs the hurting Tigers tonight ! ... Crooksville moves off the End Table with their win over Miller for their first of the season - the Ceramics have played good teams close this season ! moving up even with only 1 win on the season so far ... looking forward to games tonight and Saturday !!! ... like the idea of it being 2021 and not 2020 anymore , feel like we've been stuck in mud spinning our wheels for years instead of nearly 365 days ...
Pfloyd,. I believe that FU lost to Liberty Union right before Christmas break. Just wanted to give you updated info.
... wow. that one slipped under the radar ... thanks Smeltzy and daniC for the score ! didn't see it anywhere - and usually bman will give us the scores from the MVL - I'm going to blame bman for the mistake !!! LOL it give me something to give him a hard time about when I run into him !!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fed Hock 20 12 22 23 - 77
Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Federal Hocking played without 3 starters most of the game and still came away with the victory at a tough place to play at The Eagles nest versus a decent Belpre team. Nathaniel Massie is quarantined, Collin Jarvis is still out with knee injury (but was warming up with the team prior to the game) and 6'5 C Elijah Lucas sprained his ankle in the 1st Q, tried to come back, but only played a few min in the 3rd before sitting for the remainder.

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
(Freshmen) Andrew Airhart - 20 pts
(Freshmen) Tariq Cottrill - 10 pts
Elijah Lukas 8 pts, 8 reb in limited minutes
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb
Wes Carpenter 5 pts, 9 reb

Both freshmen played great, especially Airhart, who had 12 pts in the 3rd Q alone. He reminds me a lot of Blake Guffey (Trimble) when he was a freshmen. Cottrill played well too for just a freshmen. Asking a 15 year old to play PG against an aggressive team like Belpre was a lot to ask, but he stepped up and did the job. Hunter Smith is just a flat out "gamer", 29 points is darn good and they weren't easy points either. He drained just 2 treys.

The real story for Fed will be if they can get completely healthy. They also have 6'5 transfer Tyler Rogers waiting in the wings. If, by tournament time they can put a line up on the floor that looks like this - they will be the top D4 in the district:

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

Andrew Airhart, Wes Carpenter, Lane Smith and Cottrill coming off the bench? Dang, they can go 9 deep and have confidence in the all of them. That's the silver lining with injuries, these other guys are getting valuable minutes on the floor, especially the freshmen.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Excited about the way my Senators are playing. Moved to 4-3 on the year with the win at Western tonight, 61-45. These guys are really buying into the defensive side of the court!

Loyal Loyal to The West Side
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Cameron34Crazie34 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:13 pm Excited about the way my Senators are playing. Moved to 4-3 on the year with the win at Western tonight, 61-45. These guys are really buying into the defensive side of the court!
... good W for the Senators ... the Westsiders have to KNOW that when all else is questionable DEFENSE travels ! ... and when you're a pressuring/trapping group on D like West IS, getting points out of the transition game is a key to their offensive attack ... good stuff !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:07 pm Fed Hock 20 12 22 23 - 77
Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Federal Hocking played without 3 starters most of the game and still came away with the victory at a tough place to play at The Eagles nest versus a decent Belpre team. Nathaniel Massie is quarantined, Collin Jarvis is still out with knee injury (but was warming up with the team prior to the game) and 6'5 C Elijah Lucas sprained his ankle in the 1st Q, tried to come back, but only played a few min in the 3rd before sitting for the remainder.

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
(Freshmen) Andrew Airhart - 20 pts
(Freshmen) Tariq Cottrill - 10 pts
Elijah Lukas 8 pts, 8 reb in limited minutes
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb
Wes Carpenter 5 pts, 9 reb

Both freshmen played great, especially Airhart, who had 12 pts in the 3rd Q alone. He reminds me a lot of Blake Guffey (Trimble) when he was a freshmen. Cottrill played well too for just a freshmen. Asking a 15 year old to play PG against an aggressive team like Belpre was a lot to ask, but he stepped up and did the job. Hunter Smith is just a flat out "gamer", 29 points is darn good and they weren't easy points either. He drained just 2 treys.

The real story for Fed will be if they can get completely healthy. They also have 6'5 transfer Tyler Rogers waiting in the wings. If, by tournament time they can put a line up on the floor that looks like this - they will be the top D4 in the district:

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

Andrew Airhart, Wes Carpenter, Lane Smith and Cottrill coming off the bench? Dang, they can go 9 deep and have confidence in the all of them. That's the silver lining with injuries, these other guys are getting valuable minutes on the floor, especially the freshmen.
... with the freshmen obviously being players for FH ... the depth they have now is scary - even more than last year as they went 8-9 deep then as well ... going to be fun to watch the D4's this season ... New Boston got back on track beating ND, Trimble struggled to score or defend against the 3 point barrage by Piketon (giving up 16 three pointers) ... Peebles isn't last year's Indians team (yet) ... FH has the overall most rounded TEAM - size, depth, scoring form the perimeter, and inside, experience mixed with talented youngins' ... looking forward to seeing the Lancers ... great rundown 93dog ! almost like you know what you are doing ! give my regards to Coach Maddox tomorrow night at the NYE party ...

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Good win by Piketon tonight blowing out a solid Trimble team

Piketon will be a tough out in the D3 tournament

Trimble and New Boston showed this week what many already believed —— D4 is a little down in SEO this year. The district title in D4 will be wide open and I’d imagine we’ll see plenty of upsets even in sectionals

Watching SE Ohio basketball
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:39 pm Good win by Piketon tonight blowing out a solid Trimble team

Trimble and New Boston showed this week what many already believed —— D4 is a little down in SEO this year. The district title in D4 will be wide open and I’d imagine we’ll see plenty of upsets even in sectionals
... I totally agree ... I want to get eyes on ISJ - they will be in the running for a district appearance as well ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:39 pm Good win by Piketon tonight blowing out a solid Trimble team

Be a good year for a 4-17 team to get to the dist finals ....maybe like a Crooksville

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Be a good year for a 4-17 team to get to the dist finals ....maybe like a Crooksville
... they will have played against a BUNCH of good teams in the MVL - probably will be the most tested team D4 coming into the post season - it would be a good bet ! I watched the FU vs Sheridan game tonight - FU is a team that WILL get better and better as the season goes along ... not great talent but they are coached up, will know their roles and play within themselves - they will be solid TEAM come tourney time in D2 ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”